Anyone have plans for building a mounting stand

Submitted by Shane Collier on 11/13/2002. ( hornswagul@adelphia.net ) 24.49.190.175

I am a BEGINNER; and I am looking for a set of plans so I can build a mounting stand. If anyone could/would help me in this endeavor; please e-mail me. Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

not much to it

This response submitted by paul smith on 11/13/2002. ( paulbunyanjr@hotmail.com ) 209.214.52.56

Depends what exactly you want. If you have acess to a welder
you can look at a picture in any catalog and figure it out.
I built 2 out of wood used 4x6 for the base and 2x4 for the stand itself. As for the measurements keep in mind what they are for and bulk up or trim down accordingly. Sorry about my spelling.Good luck

For the price...

This response submitted by CHUCK on 11/13/2002. ( ) 152.163.189.66

...of the materials you'll need and if you have to pay someone to weld them together right.The time it would take to find,assemble,paint(if its not already made of stainless steel)with epoxy paint-you could order one from Van Dykes.Its a very good stand that costs under $80 I built my first one ,bought my second (1 1/2 yrs ago)and now am thinking of buying a third.

I agree w/ CHUCK

This response submitted by Corey K. on 11/14/2002. ( ) 209.83.26.237

Chuck is right, I've thought of making on too, but theoretically it will end up costing you more to build a nice mounting stand.

Really?!?

This response submitted by LH on 11/15/2002. ( ) 208.191.33.65

I've got three that I built myself, all at the same time, and in less than one evening. All you need is two sizes of pipe, one of which slips comfortably inside the other, grade 5 nuts and bolts, some cold roll round bar (3/8"), and a base. I went to the scrap yard or an implement dealer and asked for some of the scrap discs of a disc (implement). Get the largest ones you can get (mine are around 20-inches across) It's not that hard to find someone with a welder and a cutoff saw to cut your materials and weld it together. Most scrap iron can be picked up for pennies a pound (I pay 5-cents a pound at a local manufacturing plant where they let me hunt through their "drop"). All in all, I've got three stand with interchangeable parts for about $5 a piece. They look just like the commercial ones in Van Dyke's or other catalogs, and better yet, I can expand them to suit my needs. For instance, I'm presently preparing to do a lifesize coyote. Rather than wrestle with a cradle or on the table, I have one mounting plate with a 3/8-inch hole in it to accept the threaded rod in the mannikin's leg. That goes into one of the tubes on a long pipe that's normally used to adjust the stand for height, allowing me to extend it laterally from the stand base where I can work on it as conveniently as a gamehead. Furthermore, I'm preparing to make a wall rack that will accept my mounting plates straight from the stand so heads can be hanged to dry using the mounting plates that integrate with the stands. All I need to do is make more plates so I have at least 2-3 per stand.

Return to Beginners Category Menu