need help mounting a bird

Submitted by Mike on 11/17/2002. ( ) 142.154.185.56

is there a web site that will tell you how to mount birds becuase i dont want to buy a book.

thanks
mike

Return to Beginners Category Menu

yes

This response submitted by . on 11/17/2002. ( ) 64.6.97.11

yes

Dont wanna buy a book?

This response submitted by Raven on 11/17/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Then might I venture to say ya dont really wanna get into taxidermy?

If the cost is prohibitive to you - then you certainly won't get very far in taxi. Chemicals alone can be pricey unless all you plan to use is Borax.

Having a book there in front of you is a valuable resource. I have several that I read frequently and although I havent actually DONE any yet (saving my numerous specimens for other projects) I still find them to be awesome reference. Its great sitting in a quiet room with a hot mug of yer favourite bevvy - and just flipping through the pages absorbing all the knowledge deposited therein. It really does sink in more than the stuff ya see on a webpage.. sounds goofy I know.. but its true =)

If theres SPECIFIC problems you encounter then by all means check the web.. but for a grand overview of the process - I'm really curious.. WHY dont you want a book?

i would like to know the web site

This response submitted by mike on 11/17/2002. ( ) 142.154.185.131

i must agree that sitting down and reading a book is probly much more enjoiable but i live in Canada and due to the Canadian and U.S dollor its just a bit out of my ball game im just a beginer and i want to start out small and see how i like it.Im trying my first project and its to mount a hun partrige.So that is why i just wana chek out the net and im prety sure that i will have a few books by the time x-mas comes around.It would be greatly aprecated if you could tell me a site on mounting birds step by step.sorry my first qustion wasent informetive enough.

thanks agin
Mike

Hey Mike =)

This response submitted by Raven on 11/17/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

The exchange rate doesnt cut it as a way out - hehe - Im Canadian too =) Might I suggest the Serious Sportsman series of taxidermy booklets / exercises? Its a wikked lil series - easy to understand -step by step processes, lots of pictures. I think with exchange and delivery, mine came to under $40 CAD... Purchasing the Breakthrough manual on your chosen topic is another surefire way to get the knowledge you need. Ive read the habitat one before and its incredible! If the rest of the series is like that - then WOW! There is also the option of going to the library and looking up books there, though they will likey be well outdated. I dont know of a specific website that details all the information you seek in a well laid out format - but if you click on the search button on the left of your screen - you can search the archives for whatever you want =) It may take you a while to read through the information however. This seems to turn a lot of ppl off, but the way I see it - it takes far less to read all the information in the archives on a topic, than it did for the ppl who wrote them to learn it all - so yer still coming out WAY ahead of the game =)

Does Canada have libraries?

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 11/17/2002. ( ) 66.19.114.38

For bird taxidermy, even the older methods still work fine. Once you have the basics in front of you, you can look up specific questions.

E-gads, can you not read the Bird colum here.

This response submitted by John C on 11/17/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.38

Cant afford the book, you cant afford to do taxidermy. You afford a computer but cant afford a $50.00 book, you can afford the internet, but you cant afford the book.

Skin the bird out, flesh, carve a body from styro foam, wash bird, wrap a neck with yarn and put some large pearl beaded black pins in for eye. Thats it no more, no less.

E-gads, can you not read the Bird colum here.

This response submitted by John C on 11/17/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.38

Cant afford the book, you cant afford to do taxidermy. You afford a computer but cant afford a $50.00 book, you can afford the internet, but you cant afford the book.

Skin the bird out, flesh, carve a body from styro foam, wash bird, wrap a neck with yarn and put some large pearl beaded black pins in for eye. Thats it no more, no less.

try Quebec Mike

This response submitted by Jim on 11/18/2002. ( ) 24.43.223.204

I'm Canadian and have found this site to be a great place to find
information . Part of which was locating a supplier in Quebec.
But when checking prices it is cheaper to go through WASCO or Van Dykes
and the service is outstanding. I have purchased 3 books so far and will
continue to add to my little library. I think if you are serious about
trying, then put an effort to learn properly. Try to researh on your
own, the effort you put out will show in the effort in practice,lazy guy
lazy job. The site in Quebec sells the same products as WASCO .

Return to Beginners Category Menu