altering deer forms

Submitted by brian on 11/17/2002. ( ) 65.167.47.33

i am coming across a lot of 7-7/2 a measurements with 15-17inch neck measurements. I searched the archives it answered some questions and brought up some more for me.still wondering if changeout heads,changeng the eye to nose or rasping the neck is the easiest.I never altered a form i am guessing changeing the eye to nose involves cutting the form behind the lip and adding a peice of foam to make up the difference is how it is done this seems to be the easiest way but i am not sure. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Form Alteration

This response submitted by Mark on 11/17/2002. ( TaxidermyReference.com ) 67.217.19.101

Brian,
Have you had a chance to read this?

http://www.TaxidermyReference.com/WDSFormAlteration.html

Mark

Brian, Before you do ANYTHING

This response submitted by George on 11/17/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.69

I'm more concerned with this "I'm coming across a lot of 7 1/2 a measurements with 15-17 inch neck measurements." That's a long face for a skinny neck deer. If you truly have "a lot", I think you must me measuring improperly. To elongate a face as you'd need to do is going make for some very goofy looking, mule faced deer. I'm assuming you ARE measuring the deer before it's skinned out and tanning instead of DPing. If the answer is "no" to any of those, you are not measuring properly. Try one on the proper neck size form and make the face fit. See what happens on one of these before you start altering "a lot of" forms.

Something you may want to try.

This response submitted by John C on 11/17/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.67

Get three different sized forms, 17, 19, 21 of the companies you are going to use. Test fit them to big for the 17 and to small for 19, its fits a 18, i.e.

George, and others...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/17/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.45

Those measurements are unfortunately all too common in parts of NJ, PA and elsewhere. Big heads with long necks, yet thin features as thought there wasnt any swelling. I get LOTS of emails and phone calls concerning it...

I knew it

This response submitted by George on 11/18/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.45

New Jersey is just a strange place. LMAO Sorry Bill. I guess that's analogous of the Canadian whitetails with their huge bodies and pugged noses.

Return to Beginners Category Menu