shavings in tumbler

Submitted by mark on 11/17/2002. ( squawlake@webtv.net ) 209.240.198.62

I just got done building a tumbler It turned out really well looks just like the ones in the catalogs my question is I have heard of useing hardwood shavings to tumble skins can I use cedar I can buy these in a big bale at
my localfeed store thanks for any help

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Not for birds.

This response submitted by John C on 11/18/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.67

While it sounds great, it dont work very well. The longer curl of soft woods stick in the down. A good kiln dried hard wood sawdust is the best I have found. Tried corn cobs but they dont cut the mustard.

what about deer an furbearers

This response submitted by mark on 11/18/2002. ( ) 209.240.198.61

i dont do any birds what about deer and furbearers

NO

This response submitted by George on 11/18/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.43

I'm not going to launch in a tirade about cutting corners, but cedar shavings might work well in your dog kennel, but a tumbler must have either hardwood sawdust or corn cob grit. Anything else doesn't cut it as far as keeping the fur and feathers clean while drying them.

NO SOFTWOODS!

This response submitted by Raven on 11/18/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Dont use softwoods for the same reasons that they are not used for reptile bedding. They are full of resins. Mammal bedding is ok (hamsters etc), but it irritates reptiles skin and so it only makes sense that these same resins would get all over your work if you were tumbling your skins in it...? Best to avoid it entirely I'd say.

Cedar will turn things yellow

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 11/18/2002. ( ) 66.19.109.161

I know of someone who used cedar bedding under his white pigeons. (The kind with very large feathered feet.) They were completely ruined for show for the entire season. The yellow stains would not come out.
Any kind of softwood shaving or even sawdust will cause you a LOT of grief! Best to go with hardwood or corn cob grit.

Nancy M.

thanks everyone

This response submitted by mark on 11/20/2002. ( ) 209.240.198.61

thanks saved me a lot of problems it sounds like

Return to Beginners Category Menu