Help! Porcupine

Submitted by RR on 11/16/2002. ( ) 63.165.176.224

I just had a guy about getting a porcupine mounted. They are rare in this area. He said the quills just fall out by the handfuls when you touch it. He was wondering how you mount one without losing all the quills. I told him I don't know. He said the guard hairs are long, and they cover most of the quills. I need some helpful hints. Please

Return to Beginners Category Menu

porcupine

This response submitted by Superpig on 11/16/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.204

yes porcupine loose their quills very easy since they are not anchored into the skin like hair but only loosely attached so they can be easily left in an attackers nose. You do not want to send the pocupine off to a tannery or you'll loose every quill there is. Do a bellycut and carefully skin it. Lay the porcupine on a hard slick surface. Do not lay him on a towel or your lap as this will cause the quills to stick to you or the towel (and I am speaking of experience here.LOL) After you skinned him flesh him and tan him yourself. I tan mine with the one hour tan which works great on them. You will have to degrease the porcupine as well. Try to handle him aas little as possible. You will loose some quills but the majority should stay. You gonna have to split the tail. Just be very careful doing so since the quills on the tail are thick and long. There are hidden quills around the facial area too. Good luck. Once you get the hang of them they are actually quite a lot of fun to do.

bandaids

This response submitted by newbirdman on 11/17/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.42

There is no way you can mount this without getting atleast 2 quills stuck in you . You'll see , and boy do they smell , like a pine tree .

Mount it!

This response submitted by Tony M on 11/18/2002. ( ) 63.184.193.187

I have mounted several porcupines. Yes, some of the quills will fall out, there is no avoiding that. Just skin it very carefully! Don't lay it on any cloth, the quills will stick to the cloth and come out. I use dry preserve to treat the skin. I don't think they would hold up to sending them to a tannery.(even if you could find a tannery that would take it). They have large front teeth, like a beaver. I always mount them with the front teeth showing.

Return to Beginners Category Menu