sanitizing bones

Submitted by Erin on 11/19/2002. ( aeringraeham@yahoo.com ) 68.32.101.95

sorry if these questions have been asked before, I didn't see them in the archives.

I found a road-killed deer which I buried for several months. The bones are fairly clean tho they still have some hair on them. I was planning to use hydrogen peroxide to try to whiten them but after reading about the diseases that road-kill can carry I was wondering if hydrogen peroxide alone will sanitize the bones, or should I also soak them in ammonia? Is ammonia damaging to bones? Are diseases even an issue after the bones have been buried this long?

any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!
Erin

Return to Beginners Category Menu

H2O2 is a cleanser, we use it for cuts at a 3% solution

This response submitted by John C on 11/19/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.98

Hyd. Per will do everything you need it to. It works on virus, bacteria, and other germs just fine. You can whiten a skull wiht the drug store strength, just wrap a towel around the skull and submerse in enough to cover it. In a few days its going to white and fine, just check two times daily.

Ammonia

This response submitted by Amethyst Taylor aka Wolf on 11/20/2002. ( Rain4stgem@aol.com ) 152.163.189.67

Hydrogen peroxide will clean and whiten the bones, but I would soak it in ammonia first. Ammonia degreases bone, and it kill things that may be present which peroxide will not. Hope this helps

Wolf

Return to Beginners Category Menu