Tanning hide taken from skull

Submitted by Greg on 11/11/2002. ( ) 192.175.173.33

I would like to skin the hide off of the head of a deer and tan it. This will be used to cover an antler mount. Can anyone give me a step by step tutorial or direct me on where to find one?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I would imagine....

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 11/11/2002. ( thepredator@gci.net ) 12.12.200.48

...that you would tan it the same as any other part of the deer hide. I've done predator faces the same as all the rest of the hide, so no difference :)

Check the SEARCH button and you'll find LOADS of info on tanning!

Looking for some more advice

This response submitted by Greg on 11/12/2002. ( ) 192.175.173.94

Considering I am only going to be using a 10" x 10" piece (if possible) off the top of the head, and I will not be skinning off the nose, mouth etc...., will this be a fairly quick and easy tanning process?

Do you have...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 11/13/2002. ( thepredator@gci.net ) 12.12.200.42

...a tanning kit yet? Anyway it goes you'll have to buy some sort of tanning agent to do it and it's going to be a lot more formula that you will EVER use if this is all you want to tan.

I'm probably going to get screamed at for saying this, but your least expensive method will be a product called Trapper's Hide Tanning Formula. It's a rather simple process, one bottle and it doesn't do a bad job! Comes with instructions. If you do a search on www.google.com for it I'm sure you can find it for about $10 or less. Comes in an orange bottle.

Hope this helps!

Wolfwoman

This response submitted by Greg on 11/14/2002. ( ) 192.175.182.25

I was thinking of buying a one quart bottle of Liqua-Tan from WASCO. It's less than $20.00, seems to be a respected product in this forum and for my purposes will go a long way. Just out of curiosity, if you were undertaking this project, how long would it take you? And how difficult? Thanks.

Return to Beginners Category Menu