European skull loose

Submitted by rr on 11/20/2002. ( ) 24.225.9.100

I have an elk skull that has all the bones loose. Is there a way I can paint some kind of glue all over it so it isn't so lose?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by Raven on 11/20/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

You can paint glue all over it so it isnt so loose =) Your question is your answer... a thinned down white glue will work as will flat finish clear acrylic (brush on - not spray).

?

This response submitted by rr on 11/20/2002. ( ) 63.165.176.132

i was going to paint the skull white. should i glue after painting or before? thanks

Glue it first

This response submitted by Raven on 11/20/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Then paint your skull white. Then mount a cape over it and paint all the fur white. Install glass eyes and paint those white too. hehe - Sorry.. my point it - WHY paint it white? Why not just buy a plastic kit and save yourself all this trouble? Bleached skulls look unnatural enough but to paint it white? Sorry - dont see the appeal to that in any way. If you must Taint it (no I didnt mean Paint it...) then do that after it has all been consolidated. In fact if you are painting it anyway - that paint can serve AS your consolidant. Get an acrylic paint in "gleaming snow blind white" and have at it ;) (can ya tell Im passionate against this trend of fake looking skulls?) The paint alone will work to glue it all up as long as you work it into all the sutures etc. If you are unsure you can get into all the nooks and crannies without plugging the detail then I strongly suggest the matte finish clear coat followed by a spray primer; then paint.

If you paint do something cool

This response submitted by Doug K. on 11/30/2002. ( ) 198.81.26.199

I have painted deer and wild boar skulls, leaving the antlers on deer and the tusks on boars in their natural state and color. The cool part is I paint them with Flec spray paint I get from Research Mannikins. It comes in a marble or granit color and texture. It'll look like a stone sculture of skull.

Forgot something

This response submitted by Doug K. on 11/30/2002. ( ) 198.81.26.199

After the flec paint is dry, spray it with a clear coat the flec comes with, extirior. For a super gloss coat I have used Super Fish Gloss I got from Research Mannikins.

Return to Beginners Category Menu