ooooooo a bat!

Submitted by jen on 11/21/2002. ( happy2daysmile@aol.com ) 64.12.96.231

gooooooooooood morning! having the greatest day here! got to watch some heavy rutting action then to work and wowowo! found a bat , dead, but now i need to know , can i have it? can i taxiderm it?
im sorry if this is way stupid george but i really havent seen much on bats here in this forum! wow the wings! yes i wore gloves!
put in a bag in fridge till i hear back, please feel free to email me or something

Return to Beginners Category Menu

bats

This response submitted by wetnwild on 11/21/2002. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 205.188.209.44

My biggest concern would be what killed the bat! It most states they are protected and cannot be kept, mounted or otherwise. Nut some states do allow possion, so check with your locan DNR. Bats usually die because of some baceterial or viral thing that screws them up/ their acute radar is messed up bu certain viral infections, and they fly into tres and what have you. use extreme caution.

LOL Jen

This response submitted by George on 11/21/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.138

Not stupid at all. It sure beats the toucan sale or the snake skin tanning.

I have an open permit from my DNR and the Feds for things they want mounted so I do see bats in here on occasion for them. What I do is I eviscerate them and then stuff the body cavity with polyfill. I then sew it up and lay the bat out on a piece of heavy cardboard. I pin the wing skins out much like I would a butterfly and then I just put it in the back of my freezer. In about 6 months, it freeze dries itself and I suspend it with 2 pound monofilament fishing line.

eyes

This response submitted by rr on 11/21/2002. ( ) 24.225.9.100

George, what do you do about the eyes? All you do is gut the animal, you don't skin them?
PS what about rabies? What % of bats carry that?

Bat eyes

This response submitted by George on 11/22/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.138

Jen, I dipped a pair of those little plastic hem pins seamstresses us in black enamel. When the bat had dried, I just cut the pin and imbedded the "eyes" in the sockets. As far as rabies, take the usual precautions with rubber gloves on initial handling. Put the bat in the freezer. Rabies virus cannot survive over 72 hours of subfreezing temps. Thaw your bat out, and eviscerate, and card.

follow up

This response submitted by JEN on 11/25/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.138

well called all around state agencies to find out the rules.
after 10 transfers , a lady said well just a minet ill ask, she said no i couldnt have it, ? i think she thought was live animal not decesed one, needless i followed her recomondations, and kept it till my son got out of school so he could see the creature up close
( he was facinated!) and then disposed of properly,, thanks to all that responded .

Return to Beginners Category Menu