salt drying ?

Submitted by Rob N. on 11/26/2002. ( hunter00@mwt.net ) 207.190.76.195

Is it an important step to completely salt dry the cape before I place it into the pickle (saftee-acid) or can I salt it then continue with the tanning process without drying hard? Thank you in advance!Rob

Return to Beginners Category Menu

already thoroughly discussed

This response submitted by mike dubar on 11/26/2002. ( no viruses@my computer ) 207.230.218.206

in the archives, you'll get yes and no's. I'm in the dry em rock hard school, rehydrate in brine, and when relaxed, pickle. good luck

Keep them soft

This response submitted by J. Uecker on 11/28/2002. ( jvuecker@hotmail.com ) 63.66.233.194

I've found that I get alot more flexibility and stretch out my skins if I DO NOT dry them out hard. I use the following procedures:

After fleshing;generously rub salt into all areas of the skin. Then if you are doing a cape,lay down a shallow bed of salt under the cape and a heavy layer on the top. Leave this on for 2-4 hrs.

Shake and brush off all the old wet salt and redo the salting as before. Leave this salt on for 6-8 hrs.

Now rinse the hide thoroughly of blood and dirt

From here it is put into a relaxing bath of Vanwet,PS-650 bacteriacide and cold water(no salt)for about one hour. It is then rinsed a few more times,drained and put into the pickle.

This is also good for hides that may be suspect due to alot of blood,warm weather,etc. because the hide is in the pickle much sooner than waiting for the hide to dry out completely and then a long rehydration soak.

Hope this helps you and I hope you try it! Jeff

paul

This response submitted by paul yob on 12/02/2002. ( dragonfire621@msn.com ) 67.200.129.227

how do u rehydrate them after being salted

Return to Beginners Category Menu