eyes pulled to tight

Submitted by smacky on 11/27/2002. ( cwwkmw@train.missouri.org ) 204.185.30.134

Ok here it goes. Mounted The deer and in the drying the cape pulled real tight around the eyes. There is no indentation between the eyes and the tear duct. Can i cut through this skin and epoxy it to the form and then hide the cut with a wax? Any help would be grateful.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

NO

This response submitted by CapeFear on 11/27/2002. ( CFTaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 66.56.152.146

DO NOT CUT AND WAX. First off we need to know how you preped your cape, what method did you use? How far along is the drying? Did you second day it, or keep at it while it was drying? If it's not completely dry, you may try using a syringe and injecting some Epo-Grip or zap a gap, then card and pin it until it sets. If it's already completely dry rehydrate the area and procede as mentioned. Good luck.

liqua tan

This response submitted by smakcy on 11/28/2002. ( ) 204.185.30.166

we used liqua tan on this cape. my wife is the one who done this and she said the second day was done. This is in the 14th day of drying.
What to use to rehydrate and how to in this area. Thanks you for the help Cape

This happens when

This response submitted by CHUCK on 11/28/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.137

the antlers have been set too far back on the mannikin.The result is a "chinese"deer take better measurements next time and follow them .The more measurements you take , the more the mount will look like what you took apart. Most beginners only take a A and B measurement and go no further . That only generalizes the mannikin size and you must detail the rest yourself. Pay attention next time and you'll improve-been there.

took measurements

This response submitted by smacky on 11/28/2002. ( ) 150.199.209.91

Chuck i took a measurement from tip of nose to tip of antlers and also took measurement from tip of nose to base of antlers. the eyes don't look chinese. they have the right look but they just pulled from form between the eye and the tear duct. thanks for the help anyway.

Rehydrate and Pin

This response submitted by Jeff Uecker on 11/28/2002. ( jvuecker@hotmail.com ) 63.118.118.212

I agree with Cape. Don't cut! Rehydrate by taping small cloth wetted with water/bacteriacide over corners of the eye until they are soft again and then pin them down 'til they dry.

I started using Hidemaster epoxy and really love it. Dont be afraid to use pins in this area right from the start and leave them there.

Hope this helped you! Jeff

Return to Beginners Category Menu