Thinking About Starting a Taxidermy Shop Need Information

Submitted by Terry on 11/30/2002. ( terry2002@centurytel.net ) 66.112.43.233

I am thinking about opening a shop. I know you have to have a liscense. What kind of records do you have to keep? What kind of forms do you use to keep records? Where do you get them? Is the money worth the hassle or is it a waste of time? How do you ship a frozen hide or a whole speciman? Anyone that may be able to answer these questions or help me can leave a message here or e-mail me at: terry2002@centurytel.net Thank you for your time, Terry Thompson

Return to Beginners Category Menu

school

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 11/30/2002. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 64.12.96.136

Terry, you sure asked all the million dollar questions. Now, let's relate this to you wanting to be an accountant, lawyer, doctor, dentist, ect. If you are serious, take all of your vacation time next year, and mark it for time spent at a taxidermy school. It will be money well spent, along with your time invested. If you think school and the time off work will be expensive, just remember, so is ignorance.
This is a wonderful field to earn a living, and not just as a taxidermist. You might find any number of vocations, other than the mounting process that will interest you.
So click on the Schools & Workshops , up above on this page, provided my WASCO, and make and effort to see if taxidermy is for you. rw

Hello Terry

This response submitted by CapeFear on 11/30/2002. ( Marc@Taxidermy1.com ) 66.56.152.146

And congrats on your interest in this wonderful and fulfilling artform. There are many good books and videos available to obtain a general knowledge of what is involved in the taxidermy process, and this is a good start. There are also schools, some are better than others so I'd get some references if you decide to try this route. I was fortunate enough to have apprenticed for almost two years before I ventured out on my own, if your lucky enough to find someone who'll show you the ropes then good for you. It'll be a good start. Take some business classes at a local college, it'll be time and money well vested. I also suggest you join a local taxidermy association and attend some seminars and shows the knowledge you can gain is immeasurable, and you may meet some contacts that may help you along the right path. I don't know what state your in or their specific requirements, but your welcome to contact me with any questios I may be able to answer. Your success in this business is totally up to you and how dedicated you are at being the best you can possibly be. Noone in this business knows everything there is to know, it's a continuing learning process everyday. I hope you take your education seriously and stick with your ambition to be a taxidermist, best of luck.

Compete

This response submitted by Jake on 12/05/2002. ( ) 152.163.189.234

Before you jump with both feet into taxidermy, try your hand at local and state competions. You will see what is expected from you and you will see what work is being done by other taxidermist's. You can compete in the amatuer division and believe me this will open your eyes on how good you really are. Keep at it and grow a tough outer layer of skin.

Return to Beginners Category Menu