Holy Cow!

Submitted by drakechaser on 12/15/2002. ( rherndon@brazosnet.com ) 208.11.117.37

My deer cape just grew about a foot in length, and lost about two inches in the neck. Salted twice in 48 hrs. Pickeled 1.0-1.5 for three days with safetee acid. Shaved. Neutralized. Liqua tan. Is this normal? I did get it to stretch back out, but it took a lot of work and time. What is an easier solution, rather than fighting it like I just did.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

yep

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 12/15/2002. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.150.126.202

Most of them do that if and when the hide is hung to dry or when salted it's laid flat and where pulling it nose to tail. In the end here where making it longer. Instead we need to pull it width wide to help stop that from happening. The old quote here is do as I say not as I do, cause I do it all the time for I know the hides will retain their measurements.
The same goes for shaving a hide the proper way is tail to nose but I and other folks can do it crossway but that's not proper procedure and I don't recomend doing it this way unless your real handy with a fleshing machine.
As said before try to pull your hide width wide and not in length you will see a difference.

Great Information

This response submitted by Jesse on 12/15/2002. ( ) 24.197.193.188

That makes alot of sense, thanks for the hint.

Return to Beginners Category Menu