Huge Elk Antlers

Submitted by Bazie Dulen on 01/19/2003. ( bdulen@mrtc.com ) 206.157.148.83

Hey Guys,
I looked through the Search forum but didn't really see what I was looking for.
Can you guys give me some advice on mounting a set of elk antlers. They are approximately 6 x 6, large and in charge!
I have never mounted elk antlers before and I wanted some advice on any particuliar mounting forms that you guys like and any techniques that might keep them from breaking off a plaque and killing someone! I have seen the mounting stuff in WASCO, but wanted to get the advice of someone who has done it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bazie

PS I posted this in the wrong section, that's why you see it here and in training.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Simple

This response submitted by Brian on 01/19/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.67

ASK a frind to help. Use bondo and "wood wool" I think you can get it from WASCO. The more corse the better. Trim the skull plate to fit the form. You can use any of them, they all mount the same. Mix the bondo then add the wood wool, place it on the form then put the antlers into the bondo mixture. This is where you need a frind, have him or her hold the back of the antlers up, so you can make sure they are placed correctly. And let dry. Drill a bout 3 or 4 holes in the skull plate, and use dry wall screws to secure the antlers to the form. After you finish the mount in leather or what ever you choose to use. Line up the antler mount on the plaque drill 2 to 3 holes in the plaque and screw the antlers to the plaque. I like to use the "Noose" hangers. They won't fall of the wall using this method.

Return to Beginners Category Menu