May need a longer nose . . .

Submitted by Tony on 01/19/2003. ( ) 209.69.212.195

Hey guys,

I'm getting the form in the UPS tomorrow to mount my first deer. For regulars of the site, you may remember that I had ordered a form but it was too small. So I carefully remeasured and returned the small form for a bigger one.

The cape measures 17.5 on the neck and just over 7.25 on the nose. The form I have coming is a Rinehart 7X17.25. I didn't dare go bigger because of the neck measurement. So I may have to add a bit to the length of the nose on the manikin. Probably not much but some.

My method would be to cut it off behind the back lip corner and add a thin shim. I was thinking maybe just a piece of 1/4-inch luan (wood veneer) and then bondo back together. Once it starts to kick, I'll use rasp, sandpaper or even dremel to smooth the transition. Will this be adequate? Or is there a different approach?

Thanks guys. I'm really excited to give my first deer a try.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

wouldn't even worry

This response submitted by Jim Grill on 01/19/2003. ( ) 67.83.145.142

Tony, I wouldn't even worry about the .25 difference in the eye to nose measurement. You'll be able to lose it by compressing the skin down to the form plus as it dries it will tighten up nicely.

deer nose

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 01/19/2003. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.129.95

Tony, Jim is right--don't mess with altering the nose length for 1/4". The extra bit of skin will help with fitting the face and will not show as excess. Just make a nice proper lip slot , tuck the rear corner, tuck the front then equaly distribute what's left. Do not make the lip slot longer than is molded on the form. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Tony, we went over this last week.

This response submitted by John C on 01/19/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.50

1/4 inch even 3/8 inch is nothing to worry about. I told you and I will pull a George here, Stand by repeating that you need slack in the skin, other wise as it dries its going to pull out all the details.

This is called Taxiing the skin.

Taxi-to move

derm- related to the skin.

Tony, we went over this last week.

This response submitted by John C on 01/20/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.50

1/4 inch even 3/8 inch is nothing to worry about. I told you and I will pull a George here, Stand by repeating that you need slack in the skin, other wise as it dries its going to pull out all the details.

This is called Taxiing the skin.

Taxi-to move

derm- related to the skin.

Thanks and, John C. get a life

This response submitted by Tony on 01/20/2003. ( ) 209.69.212.190

To Aaron and Jim,

Thanks for the response and the well-meaning help.

To John C., while searching the archives I noticed a trend. You tend to think that you have some sort of special aura around you that makes you better than all the newcomers. Not true. And, yes, we did discuss this before. But, as I noted in my post, I was looking for advice on alteration should it be needed.

I'm not sure why there are guys like you in this world who think they A) know everything there is to know B) can chastise and ridicule those who are trying to learn something new and C) think you somehow make yourself seem superior simply because you have experience at something that others lack.

In case you haven't noticed, the header of this section is BEGINNERS. So, please, do us a favor and keep your comments in the "super-pro, all-knowing" section. Wouldn't want to tarnish your brainpower by slumming here with us newbies.

Tony, chill out.

This response submitted by John C on 01/20/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.50

I thought maybe you forgot.

ITS guys like me that care to SHARE INFORMATION WITH BEGINNERS, to help you understand 1/4 inch on the face of the deer dont mater. You try to show you that a slack skin is better than a tight skin.

We take a little time to help show the beginners that sometimes a rotten skin is just rotten and nothing will help.

There is never knowing everything about this industry, noone will ever know it all.

But you certainly show you dont care and have not considered the alternatives. If everyone with some experience had never shared thier mistakes with the beginners we would not have this site, we would not have videos tapes, we would not have seminars, Not Breakthrough books, no WTC.
You would still be griping and whinning to a few other beginners. "I dont understand the Taxidermist downtown told me to get out, I just wanted to know somethings."

Maybe this is whats wrong with the beginners today, things have been to easy to find. Because had you researched last weeks questions you would have found 56 answers to that same question.

Thanks I have a life and you would envy it.

Hey, Tony

This response submitted by Jerry on 01/20/2003. ( ) 24.52.19.4

I don't need to ask many questions on the forum, as it's all in the archives, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't badmouth a veteran like you did John. Remember when your teacher sent you to the library to look up some information and you got it wrong? Did you badmouth her too? John's comments live, as well as in the archives, have been very helpful to me and I'm not really a beginner. Just reading your post makes me think that you will always be a "beginner."

Tact: Check for the definition

This response submitted by Tony on 01/20/2003. ( ) 209.69.212.56

First off, John, I never said help from the veterans isn't appreciated. It is and I know that it's not something you HAVE TO DO. Since you're willing to share information with others, it makes me believe that there is, somewhere, good in your heart.

But there's a certain something called tact. Meaning there's a better way to say things than with sarcasm and snip. I know others on the site have had the same observation of some of your replies. Of course, I didn't forget about a previous post. I am the one wrote it after all. But the post in question was a different question altogether. I have a limited amount of time to do the things I enjoy and I was merely trying to think ahead and have the altering information if needed.

And yes, Jerry, I did check the archives. I scanned thoroughly and did not find anything about the subject I was talking about. I found plenty of info on altering other types of forms but not for a mere 1/2-inch in the nose. If folks don't have time to read "duplicate" type of questions then they shouldn't be here. It probably took Aaron and Jim, oh, 30 seconds to read, respond kindly and move on. Guess I don't see what's so hard about that. As for always beginning a beginner, perhaps I will be. Or perhaps I won't be. Doesn't matter really as that is up to me.

And one more thing. You're right John. I do envy you in a way. You have, apparently, the talents and experience to make taxidermy your profession. Someday I would like to be in that same position. Who knows, perhaps, someday I'll win a Best in the World award. And I'll certainly remember who helped me get there. And who never did.

Return to Beginners Category Menu