how to hang a deer pelt on my wall?

Submitted by babs mertz on 03/15/2003. ( mbmertz@McLeodUSA.net ) 65.58.125.97

how does one hang a deer pelt on the wall?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Depends

This response submitted by Gordon on 03/15/2003. ( ) 142.177.9.136

I would make hooks with wire...sew them on tanned hide. hang.

BABS

This response submitted by ETCC on 03/16/2003. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.198.60

Get yourself an air compressor...a nailing gun...case of studs...and have fun machining it to the wall like a Tommy Gun of the 1930's...werks fur me.

one suggestion...

This response submitted by FatBack on 03/16/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.138

I have done this only a couple of times but it worked out just fine.

I used luan plywood. I laid the skin out on cardboard and made a pattern. Transfered it to the thin luan and cut it out with a jig saw. Sanded the edges and laid sheets of cotton batting over the plywood pattern. Then laid the skin over top. Pull the skin over the pattern the way it needs to be and carefully roll the edge of the skin over to the back side and secure with staples. It can take time but make sure not to pull too much in one area and it will come out just fine. I've done deer and a small black bear this way.

The bear was intended for a life size mount but, minds were changed and it became a wall hanging. I actually just laid the skin out flat and placed my luan patteren inside the skin and sewed up the legs and belly. Kind of like mounting it over a flat luan mannikin. I turned out great. It took a little extra around the feet to spread the claws etc. but it turned out better than expected. A rug shell was inserted in the head and finished out. On the deer skins, cover the backside with felt ot something similar. Attach fasteners and hang it how and where ever you wish!

I wouldn't hesitate doing another this way! Unless it was a large bear, I'd have to rethink that one! More than one way to skin a cat!

FatBack

This response submitted by ETCC on 03/16/2003. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.198.60

I thought it was a Deer...not a Cat.

oh NO!

This response submitted by FatBack on 03/16/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.45

cats...deer..., I can't tell'em apart anymore! LoL!

Guess you could do a cat the same way!?!

Etcc, just for you I'll change that age old saying to: "more than one way to skin a deer..."

Return to Beginners Category Menu