preserving a squirrel tial

Submitted by sue on 09/18/2003. ( ) 67.87.29.36

hey, um, may cat a squirrel and left its beautiful tail behind. i would likt to preserve and save the tail, but ive never done somethign like this before. how would i go about doing this? the bone is still in the tail, and there is no flesh attatched to the start of the tail, my cat was very neat. thanx!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Salt it

This response submitted by b bishop on 09/18/2003. ( ) 65.73.67.143

There is very little meat in the tail so you can just salt the raw end and lay it in the position you want and let dry a few week to a month in a dry area . no need to get any more complicated than that.

Incorrect information.

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 09/19/2003. ( stephen.rogers@comcast.net ) 12.203.170.78

The meat in a squirrel tail must be removed or it will decompose and begin to stink badly, besides also it will draw insect pests to the tail and will be ruined over a matter of time.

You must remove the meat completely and place a material like borax into the tail cavity to act as a dessicant and to help to prevent secondary destruction. Even after doing that Sue, you will have a very stiff tail once it dries out and will not resemble to fluffy flexible object you see on a live squirrel. For that you must tan it. To remove the tail bone, slice down the skin until you can get a pair of pliers around the base and with the right pull, the entire tail bone can be removed all together.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

This response submitted by b bishop on 09/19/2003. ( ) 65.73.67.58

All these years of doing it the easy way , saving tails to send to mepps company and now I have to start tanning the things - dang, leave it to a taxidermologist to take the profit out of things ! LOL

Why not

This response submitted by Them Rookie on 09/19/2003. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.252.225

Pull the flesh and bone out of the tail , put in some instant preserve, and install a manufactured tail ? And thats keeping it simple , unless you want to use wire and cotton batting to reproduce an image of the tail you just pulled. Jeff F.

I had assumed she wanted to save it

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 09/20/2003. ( ) 12.203.170.78

I meant no insult to you Brad, but I couldn't let the info stand. What you send to mepps where they slice off the hair and attach to a lure is much different than what I assumed Sue wish - which was a fluffy, flexible, preserved tail. I had no idea where she lives, or even the species of squirrel she had, but assuming a gray squirrel (as it's most common) there is far too much meat to just let it set out to dry. It would begin to stink if you had it on a kitchen counter.

Return to Beginners Category Menu