whitening a deer skull for europeon mount

Submitted by cj on 11/22/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.231

This is my first attempt at this, i dont have beetles and plan on boiling the skull what do i use and for how long do i leave it in for?I have heard to use peroxide or clorox bleack but what strengh ecttt. Thanks for the help.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

1,000,000 and 1times

This response submitted by The Rookie on 11/22/2003. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.209.13

thats how many times it's been covered. Go to the search and type in skull cleaning. Have fun. Be safe! Jeff F.

Bleach will eat the skull up. DONT USE IT!

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/22/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Use the search button type in europeon mount, Dont boil the skull, the water does not have to boil to do the job..

You willcook it at about 150-165F and ever 15 minutes pull the skull out and REMOVE meat, continue until no meat remains.

Additionally skim the grease from the water, this helps keep the antler clean.

once the meat is totally removed use a fresh batch of water and 1 cup laundry soap bring the water to a boil, turn off heat, put skull back into the fresh water anddd let it set for about 30 minutes.

Once your skull is totally void of all meat, place the skull in H2O2 3% from Walmart wrap the back of the skull keep the skull submerged for two days and check several times a day for whiteness.

Please use the search button as this is one of the FAQ!

You may find additional good information.

tip

This response submitted by yvette on 11/22/2003. ( flyingrodeo@yahoo.ca ) 204.244.19.68

When I bleach the skull, I tape up the burrs with electrical tape and then put plastic bags over the antlers{ i tape these on too} I make a mix of magnesium carbonate and 40% peroxide and paint it on . don't overcook your skull. Clorox really bad.Who said use that, smack em.

Return to Beginners Category Menu