Skinning, salting , stretching coyote hides

Submitted by Corey on 11/14/2003. ( csjacobsen@micron.com ) 137.201.242.130

OK, please bear with my novice question. What is the best way to take care of a coyote? Starting with skinning. What is the best way to skin a coyote, if my intention is to turn around and sell the tanned/stretched hide? Next, once I have the coyote skinned, what is the next step? Do I salt it, then stretch it, or vice versa? How much salt, what kind of salt, how long, what temperature, etc? Do I need to send it off to be tanned?

Please give me as much detail as possible! You can send me an e-mail, if preferred.

Many thanks,
Corey

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Coyote hides

This response submitted by Ed Chambers on 11/14/2003. ( wildlifeheaven@msn.com ) 206.216.156.76

If your intention is to sell the coyote hide, then I would recommend using a cut that extends from one rear foot to the other rear foot. This is called the cased incision. Skin the coyote completely out using this incision. After the coyote is completely skinned out, make sure that you have removed all of the meat and fat. Also, when you skin out the feet this will take some time to do and skin the feet down to the last joints. As for the salt,you can purchase this anywhere,just try to get non-iodized salt or you can purchase canning and pickling salt from a grocery store. I would recommend at least four pounds. Salt the hide immediately after the skinning process is complete and make sure that you get the salt into every wrinkle and fold. Hang the hide so that it drains and on the second day scrape the salt off with your hand and salt the hide again with new salt. Tanning is optional. For a pelt,you can tan it. If you are just selling it for mounting purposes,a salted hide is fine. Also remember that you need to skin ( turn ) the ears and on a coyote there is also a secondary ear called the secondary auricle cartilage and this must be skinned out also.

..On to tanning, if you want...

This response submitted by Michael on 11/17/2003. ( M_Rossi@admworld.com ) 12.43.89.166

I just finished a coyote, so I will pick up where Ed left off..

I usually flesh the coyote after the first salting, while the skin is still limber but not soaking wet. Be very careful fleshing. Yotes are very thin-skinned. After fleshing, resalt and let dry hard. Then on to the pickle. Pickle at ph 1.5-2 for at least 72 hrs. Remove from the pickle after a day or two and flesh out again, if you like, to remove any excess membrane that may be left. You won't need to do any thinning or shaving. But be sure to return it to the pickle for the completion of the 72 hrs.

Now you need to degrease. I am going to refer you to someone else on this one, cuz the degreasing I used kinda sucked (I referred to it in an earlier post). Get yourself some Rittels safety solvent and read the bottle.
Then return to the pickle for another day and rinse good afterwards.
Neutrilize with Sodium Bicarb- about 20 minutes or so.
Rinse again.
Tan using Lutan-F, or EZ100 or somethin'.
After you tan, oil with Protal or Pro-plus oil added to hot tap water.
I let my yote "sweat" for about 4 hrs or so. Then tack it up until about 75 percent dry and then start breaking.
Any tanning kit will have complete instructions, including the amounts you are going to need for this process.

Good luck! Yotes are fun!

Mike

measurements

This response submitted by joe on 11/27/2003. ( ) 142.165.113.247

need measurements for streching board for a coyote skin

Return to Beginners Category Menu