Where to get chloroform? Nancy M.?

Submitted by Mark N. on 12/17/2003. ( ) 68.202.73.29

>>I bought it at a local chemical supply co.
>>See your local yellow pages. I had no trouble at all getting it,
>>but shipping was expensive due to the hazardous material fee.

Nancy -
What category listing(s) do you look under in the phone book?
Can you shoot me some info on one you used?

I live in Florida - if that helps any...

I just stumbled across this forum by accident... I used to get Chloroform from a local taxidermist (friend) to dispatch the mice before feeding them to my snake. Ultimately, he closed up shop and moved to Georgia a few days back and I'm struggling to find some chloroform quickly so I can feed my snake again. I'm more than a little squeamish with the whole beating the crap out of them with a hammer routine.

I have no permits, so I don't know if this will be a problem.
Could someone please help me before my snake decides *I'm* good enough to eat?

Thanks!
-Mark

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Mark

This response submitted by George on 12/17/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.20

You're asking for trouble without permits for chloroform. As for your snake, how do you think they survive in the wild. They don't eat roadkill, for Cripes sake. Put the mouse or hamster in the box. TRUST ME. When it gets hungry, I'll take care of the varmint. And please don't tell me you don't want to see the snake scarf up the live hamster! If that's the case, you need to get a life and find a new pet.

He may have to watch, for awhile

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 12/17/2003. ( ) 66.82.9.14

Sometimes, if the snake isn't hungry enough to immediately dispatch the rodent, the rodent can actually injure or kill the snake. Even in the process of killing the rodent, sometimes the snake gets bitten badly. I've heard of people who dropped in a rat, left for awhile, came back, and found a dead snake with half its head eaten off! I personally watch my snakes until I'm sure they've killed the rodent (but there have been a few times I couldn't hang around waiting on them...).

Some people don't like feeding live rodents, as it can sometimes train a snake to strike at the first moving object it sees coming into its enclosure, too. I don't really handle my snakes very much, so when they see the door open, and movement, they presume it's lunch!

He could put them into a container, place that in the freezer and freeze them to dispatch them. They'll go into a permanent sleep. Just be sure not to feed them too cold to the reptile!

Had Boas, rattle snakes and copperheads.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 12/17/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I have never seen a mouse hurt a snake, I read in books where do this do that to prevent the snake from being hurt.

I feed the Boas every week and they were always ready to eat, the vipers were feed every two weeks.

If the snake does not get on the mouse with in a hour, put a piece of bread or feed the mice. The tank should be big enough for the mice to move around. I used 100 gallon tanks for two snakes.

Mark.....do not feed live!

This response submitted by Justin on 12/17/2003. ( jshein@bouldersci.com ) 166.93.12.186

Mark,

I bred snakes for many years, hundreds of them. If you like your snake and it will eat dead, then do you and the snake a favor and do not ever feed live! e-mail me and we can take this off the forum and I will lead you in the right direction.
Justin

Carbon Monoxide is what you need...

This response submitted by SeaBass on 12/17/2003. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 4.17.147.161

I would just use carbon monoxide, the deadly gas that comes out of your tailpipe when the engine's running. get some rubber tubing and a plastic bag, then put the mouse in cage in the bag, run the tube from the exhaust pipe to the bag, seal the whole show up with duct tape, fire up your engine, and that's all she wrote. The only problem I can possibly forsee would be if the CO was poisonios to the snake...anyone know this? ask your vet or something...good luck.

Sorry, I missed this post yesterday.

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 12/18/2003. ( ) 67.26.92.206

I am in WA state, so I'm a long way from you and I honestly don't know if the company I used will ship to FL or not. (I don't have their info handy since my computer is not in my shop, but I will try to remember to get it by tomorrow.) When I ordered the chloroform I told them what I do and also that the company I originally got it from went TU. They didn't ask me for anything else although I also gave them my UBI number to avoid paying the sales tax. <G!>
I just looked up "Chemical Supplies" in the phone book.
I used to have all sorts of snakes and I had a rainbow boa that was severely bitten by a mouse and scarred for life. I also had a fairly large (over 6') common boa that adopted one particular rat and wouldn't eat it for any reason, but happily ate other ones. That rat was completely non-agressive and lived peacefully with the snake for several months until I gave up and exchanged it for a different one at the petshop.
I would pre-dispatch mice for my wimpier snakes by quickly breaking their necks. I held them by the tail and then very quickly swung them down over the semi-sharp edge of a pulled-out drawer so that it hit them right in the neck at the back of the skull. No blood, no mess. If I was quick enough I could drop them in front of the snake while they were still twitching.
I will add the chemical company's name tomorrow, but if it were me I wouldn't feed my snakes something that died from being poisoned. I have eaten many birds killed by chloroform with no qualms at all, but they were cleaned and COOKED. Without that extra heat to drive away the last remnant of the fumes, I think some measureable chloroform would still be in the carcass - especially in the lungs.
It's something to think about.

Just

This response submitted by Alex on 12/18/2003. ( ) 66.32.72.77

Wacket over the head and feed.

Return to Beginners Category Menu