Best way to kill a trapped anminal for skinning/tanning....

Submitted by J.B. on 01/13/2004. ( ) 157.150.194.10

I have recently purchased a New Haven Racoon Cage Trap. Can I ask for recommendations of what the best way(s) is to kill the animal? My intent is for skins/pelts. Your experience will save me from some potentially bloody trial and error. Thank you.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

J.B.

This response submitted by Coyote on 01/13/2004. ( coyote@wideopenwest,com ) 69.14.140.92

For raccoon your best bet is a .22cal. short in the head. It will dispatch the animal quickly and humanely, with relatively no bleeding.

Coyote

Carbon Monoxide

This response submitted by SeaBass on 01/13/2004. ( ) 24.91.108.111

I'm not absolutly SURE of this from experience, but carbon monoxide (like from your car tailpipe) seems like a good way to go. I've heard it recommended for killing trapped squirrels, and people have committed suicide this way....so i dont know why it wouldn't work...just trash bag the cage trap, get some duct tape, a hose, and that's all she wrote...Good Luck
SeaBAss

erag the cage

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/13/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.16

Into the creek and drown him. If you shoot them, I prefer the lungs over the head shot. I used to head shoot like Coyote suggested, but Ive started lung shooting with great results.

Shooting it is best, but

This response submitted by Roadkill on 01/13/2004. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

You may dammage your trap. You can shoot the cage apart if you hid the wire. Drounding is really not an option. Any good taxi knows that moisture on the skin quickly developes bacterial growth that will cause slippage. Raccoons are scavengers, and bacterial is on there skin anyway. why build a better home for them to multiply.
I have seen guys use a choker and slip it into the trap and around the neck and then choke the animal down. No damage. They do this with bobcats and also mountain lions to release then from accidental trapping here as well. I would not like to be the one doing that though. A syringe with rubbing alcohol in it injected into the raccoon around the lung area will kill it quickly. I figure about 30cc's for a medium one? not exactly sure. I personally like the choker or set up a conibear trap in the opening of the live trap and le hm walk threw it. Wham, dead raccoon with no damage.

The Indian Way

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/14/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.72

Just whack um on the head, Then stand on their chest wile you rebuild your set. They will suffocate in seconds. Stand on those big yotes with both feet though. Its a Bi$%H when they come to on the back of your snowmobile

hahaha, I HOPE you guys are just kidding around...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/14/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.72

You can stand on a coon for twenty minutes while he lifts your 200 lbs up and down, gasping and still alive. Thats remaking a lot of sets while you wait! Plus, when he finally does die, youve got a purple wad on the top of his head that looks like Smucker's finest. Thats enough blood in the skin to give you trouble later. You can tap a fox on the snoz and stomp his chest, but coons are different.

Drowning is NOT an option? Then why do we trapper set drowning sets for? All these years Ive been wetting down my mammals before I freeze them so theres no freezer burn. These animals LIVE in water, now its going to make them slip? Guys, if you trust my judgement, the humane way to kill an animal in a cage is to drown him. Just drag the cage into the water, and wait five minutes for the bubbles to stop. Then remove him, shake the water off, towell it off if you choose. Process him and/or freeze him. If you do all your prep correctly he will be dead, and he wont slip. Ive done this with rats, coons, possums, skunks, woodchucks, you name it. Its the best way to not get sprayed by a skunk, for sure. Ive got jab sticks, syringes, all the stuff for chemically immobilizing deer (which I raise), and I still wouldnt try to hit a coon just right, hes not gonna let you, even if you COULD get your noose inside the cage and around his neck while he doesnt escape.

I just KNOW one of my anti-Yox forum lurkers will jump onto this as me being arrogant, or saying its my way or the highway. But, I am speaking from enough experience on this one.

lets be honest

This response submitted by Bandit on 01/14/2004. ( ) 12.77.41.175

Why not just buy a hat, and get your self some sox while your at it.

Thank you

This response submitted by J.B. on 01/15/2004. ( ) 157.150.194.10

Thanks for the advice to all who posted. Much appreciated.

Whip the dog-crap out of them

This response submitted by Bear on 02/09/2004. ( ) 24.243.254.147

I hunkered down in the corner of my lawn with my new night vision goggles the old lady gave me for x-mas. When the dirty bastard started into my trash, I hurled three six-inch throwing knives (I picked up for $5 at the army navy store) straight into his belly, then kicked him under the chin so that he landed on his back. From there you just strangle him with your bare hands and curse him as you send him to his death.

Return to Beginners Category Menu