help on how to preserve pelt

Submitted by Anthony on 01/19/2004. ( ) 24.158.72.144

I just shot a squirrel and was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the pelt. How do you preserve it? Where would I get tanning chemicals?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Anthony

This response submitted by Coyote on 01/19/2004. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.140.92

For all the information, and chemicals you'll need go to http://Rittelsupplies.com Bruce also has an E-mail addy that you can get a hold of him personally and ask any questions you have. Good luck

Coyote

Or, you could use borax

This response submitted by SeaBass on 01/20/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

If you just want to nail the pelt to something to look at, you can preserve the pelt with borax, too. Just lay the skinned, fleshed pelt hair side down on a board, stretching it and stapling it around the edges and then sprinkle borax onto the flesh side of the skin and allow to dry for a few days. Then you can flip the pelt over hair side up, nail or staple it to an attractive board and brush the hair. You can also soak the skin in alcohol before drying, it cleans and (I think) helps with the preservation process by killing bacteria. If you use alcohol, wash the skin in water and soap afterwards and allow to skin to soak in clean water a few hours to rehydrate, as the alcohol shrinks the skin. I have made a couple "squirrel rugs" like this and they look nice especially with the head and tail mounted. The only downside is that the pelt, when dried will be hard and unflexible, whereas tanned skin is a soft, stretchy leather. Ok, I know, I talked for an hour about a simple question...
Good Luck
SeaBass

Return to Beginners Category Menu