Help! Raccoon problem?

Submitted by Stephanie on 02/02/2004. ( arbekaokie@hotmail.com ) 216.150.117.87

I'm doing my first mount ever a raccoon and i think i may have messed up. I skinned him, fleshed, turned and split everything. Then i salted him 24 hours. Then resalted him another 24 hours. Now here is where i think i may have messed up. He wasn't totally salt dried and i just placed him in the rehydration bath. Was this wrong. Should i have waited longer until he was totally salt dried? What should i do now. If i didn't mess up to bad how long should i leave him in the rehydration bath? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Sorry for using Help

This response submitted by Stephanie on 02/02/2004. ( arbekaokie@hotmail.com ) 216.150.117.87

Sorry for using help in first post.

racoon

This response submitted by hi on 02/02/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.14

next step would be to pickle him,
your ph will be between 1 and 2 for a48 hour's
take him out and shave your skin thin degrease him for 30 to 35 min.
repickle for 24hrs. netrualize him the tan him.

you should be fine

hope this helps good luck HILTON E.

Just for reference

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/03/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.168

If you intend to pickle right away, there is no need to do all the salting. Simply wash and pickle, the salt in the pickle does the job

Salting is the first step ot a good tan

This response submitted by Roadkill on 02/03/2004. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

I have to disagree about skipping the salting. It IS the first step in tanning and I would not skip it. It sets the hair and pulls untannable liquids from the skin. It allows for better penetration of the pickle and loosens the fibers of the skin to better facilitate the penetration of oils and tan later as well.
Yes you can skip this step, but why?
Also, the rehydration bath for a raccoon that is not salt dried, should basically be just a light washing, go right to the pickle.
The salt in the pickle is to keep the swelling to a resonable amount. with out salt in the pickle it swells to much.

Return to Beginners Category Menu