Any product to bring out color/shine on antlers?

Submitted by Eric on 02/05/2004. ( ) 208.2.157.48

Wondering what might bring out some shine to the antlers...

Return to Beginners Category Menu

antlers..

This response submitted by ty on 02/05/2004. ( ) 165.121.208.217

I use skin so soft from avon, looks good, natural and its cheap

shine

This response submitted by Eddy on 02/05/2004. ( ) 69.19.0.244

Eric, Hit the orange search button to left, type in antler shine,you will get many answers.

ANTLERS

This response submitted by MIKE on 02/06/2004. ( turk_cosgrove@juno.com ) 67.200.132.220

I use linseed oil. I put it on with a toothbrush them wipe it off with a soft rag. It brings color at the base back, darkens slightly over the years and has a perfect shine. Been doing it for twenty plus years.

Mike

DON"T USE LINSEED OIL!

This response submitted by Bill@Real Life on 02/06/2004. ( ) 24.69.255.236

Use the search feature and you will get all sorts of ideas. I use armour all, but I have also tried the Trent Meyer's Antler and Horn Conditioner and it works well. Linseed oil will cause the antlers to yellow and go very dark over time...after a few years they absolutley do not look right...again, use the search feature.

antlers in the wild are not shinny

This response submitted by Roadkill on 02/07/2004. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

Why on earth would you want to make a mount look unnatural by shinning up the antlers. Maybe you are just mounting them on a plaque, but what is wrong with the natural color. You do not need to preserve them. They will stay good as long as they are not in full sunlight or outside. If you want to put them outside, in the weather, why care if they are ruined by it anyway. If that animal is not worthy of a place to admire them in a garage, den, shop, living room, bedroom, then why worry about them at all. threw them into the dog run and let the dogs chew on them. I make replications of antlers, and they can be placed outside for astetic purposes and never will deteriorate. The colors may fade a bit, but it is easy to recolor the. I also do not have ot worry about someone stealing them. If they do, I just make another set and put it back up. This is just my oppinion, take it for what it is worth.

Return to Beginners Category Menu