Nose question?

Submitted by john h on 02/09/2004. ( ) 206.124.71.213

when skinning, fleshing the nose of a deer how "thin" do you go, or how much should you take off? I have one more question i read an old,old taxidermy book from the library, and <which i dont aprove of!>it said that you "could" mount a deer without shaving a cape, wouldnt you lose all of the detail? I hate to ramble on but one thing i like to say, to those who give advice and helpful tips thank you they really help us newbies!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

As you thin the nose pad, you will see some crosshatched

This response submitted by John C on 02/09/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

muscle tendons, these have to be removed, the nose will be very black on the back.

Maybe you need to get one of the Breakthough Manuals, they are good info

deer nose

This response submitted by john h on 02/09/2004. ( ) 206.124.71.190

you mentioned that the muscles and tendons have to be removed, but what if someone didnt do that will it be ok this time

You will have problems with shrinkage.

This response submitted by John c on 02/09/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Normally the thicker the skin the harder it is to control. Harder to put the detail into etc. Shrinkage can be a big factor. think about the wet leather shoes and how they shrink and finaaly strtch back out.

thank you

This response submitted by john h on 02/09/2004. ( ) 206.124.71.190

Thank you for taking the time to answer a few questions of the begginers,it really is helpful and time saving!

Should be ok, or I was just lucky!

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 02/09/2004. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.67

I KNOW I didn't get all that off the first deer I mounted! I even dry-preserved it! It was mounted almost 10 years ago, has had nothing done to it, other than an occasional dusting. No cracks at all! The ear liners and skin did seperate (drum), but that's it. Still has all its original color, even. No fading at all. But, it is hanging in the living room on a wall where the sunlight doesn't hit it. And there's no wood stoves or a fireplace in there, either.

Vicki

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/09/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.20

I know you are a pro, And you are talking about your beginnings. But I wanted to post this for the sake of discussion so other beginners that may read it will understand. shrinkage is related to drying time. It is posable to have the tendons, and a bit of flesh in places. and providing they receive adequate preservation material, they will be fine, however, if the humidity is extremely low, or temperature high during drying. there will be a greater degree of shrinkage. so it is possible to do a mount without thinning, or fleshing as well as should be done. and still achieve good results. as I am sure you know, In professional taxidermy. we want to get them out the door. Right? so the time spent in proper fleshing is saved in drying time. It also reduces the risk of the what ifs. the last thing experienced taxidermist want is mounts coming back, or worse yet Mad customers that do not.

Return to Beginners Category Menu