Question for Raven

Submitted by Edward Moore on 02/10/2004. ( HDFB1213@CFL.RR.COM ) 24.165.237.31

Raven over the past year I have gotten some very valuable advice from you on several different subjects from postings on this site. So I thought that I would ask you this question directly because it seems to me that you have quiet a bit of knowledge in this subject and I did do a search and I did find something that was close to what I was looking for but not exactly. I have been fishing for shark over the past 15 years and I have saved every shark tooth that I have ever gotten I now have about 4 , 5 gallon buckets full of teeth. My question is what would be the best way to whiten all of them at once and not damage them. I have tried setting them in bleach over night which I figured would not work but I tried it anyways and of course they turned to chalk. Then I tried them in bleach for about 15 minutes and then rinsed them with fresh water and then I set them in water with Baking soda in it then rinsed them again in fresh water and set them in the sun on a white sheet . Does baking soda cause some sort of chemical reaction to chlorine and stop the breakdown that chlorine causes. What would be the best way to whiten them in your opinion. Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Although...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/10/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Although Im sure other people here could answer the question equally as well, I do thank you for your interest in my response. Anyone can answer any question tho =)

I would do it with the standard peroxide. 3% if you like (what I generally use) or the 12% (40 volume stuff you get from hair dressers). Dentists use peroxide to whiten teeth in their office - same sort of principle. The problems with chlorines (bleach) and various sodas, is the chemical reaction they have with things containing calcium. Sodium and chlorine can both replace the calcium found in bones, or in this case - tooth enamel.

To be safe - I'd go with peroxide as usual, but it may take a tad longer than doing the bone of skulls etc because although some of it's properties are the same... tooth enamel is not like standard bone.

Hope that helps =)

20 gallons of teeth ?

This response submitted by Ty on 02/10/2004. ( ) 165.121.131.13

Mr.Moore, you must be quite a shark killing machine to have accumulated that many teeth. You should really learn to practice some conservation measures like maybe tag-and-release. I too do alot of shark fishing and we only allow ourselves to kill one to two sharks a year. They are very slow growing and slow to reach sexual maturity. Besides how much shark can ones family and friends eat. And I would like my son and grand son to experience the thrill of being able to catch one of these truly beautiful creatures. So please think before you kill your next shark.

Return to Beginners Category Menu