can anyone tell me what might have happened to these teeth?

Submitted by rancid on 02/07/2004. ( rancid@cybrzn.com ) 204.183.96.131

I just removed the lower jaw from a deer head,getting it ready to feed to my beetles.All the teeth on one side have been split top and bottoms.Sorta like they were sliced with something and layed right open.Anyone ever seen anythig like this before?Thanks Rancid.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Stupid computer...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/07/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

This site is lagging big time for me - all other places on the web are clipping along as normal - but taxidermy.net is bogging down again. I DID have a big long winded explanation detailing the many things that can go wrong with teeth - but after I hit submit it timed out and the post didnt get posted =P So now you get the readers digest version - LOL!

All the problems in teeth cracking come from the fact that teeth are not blobs of bone stuck in the skull. They are systems uniquely their own. Inside they are filled with dentine, cementum, nerves, blood vessels etc. With all that wet gooey goodness inside trying to shrink and expand and the enamel being unable to move with it - you are going to get cracking. This happens with all cleaning techniques - even beetles and maceration. The problem gets compounded with freezing or heating. So when someone tosses a skull in the freezer - the damage begins. Water crystalizes and expands at 4 degrees centigrade. Ever see a pop can placed in a freezer? It explodes. Your teeth will do the same a lot of the time to a certain degree. The humidity inside the teeth is water, which expands during freezing and puts pressure on the inside of the enamel. Liquids also expand with heat (basic property of physics). So high heat can also lead to cracking.

Standard practices that most people adopt are to simply fill those cracks with epoxy putty and move on.

thank you raven

This response submitted by rancid on 02/08/2004. ( ) 204.183.96.131

I thought about the freezing also.But why just the one side?These teeth are'nt cracked they are layed wide open.Thanks for you idea.I guess I'll use teeth from another deer to replace with.

Weird...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/08/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Off the top of my head I dont know why it would happen to only one side. ONly thing I can think of is that when the skull was frozen - with tongue and everything else in it that blood or water pooled nup aroudn the head if it was laying on its side..and that the freezing acted on it from outside the teeth. Kinda like if you leave a barrel in the water when a pond freezes.. lots of pressure. Of course thats just one of dozens of guesses people could make. Dunno - it's an interesting situation tho =)

thanks

This response submitted by rancid on 02/08/2004. ( ) 204.183.96.131

That could be it.The guy just brought it to me last week,so it probably was layin in a freezer.It's not rotten at all and it's been awhile since deer season.Rancid

Return to Beginners Category Menu