degreasers

Submitted by terryr on 02/08/2004. ( ) 12.160.152.147

can coleman fuel be used to degrease coyotes and coons

Return to Beginners Category Menu

fuel of any type

This response submitted by bill on 02/08/2004. ( ) 63.64.41.226

be it acetone, coleman, gasoline...whatever is not in any way a degreaser, all you will do with it is displace water to speed drying like for birds.

acetone

This response submitted by Raven on 02/08/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Acetone is certainly a degreaser - and a damned good one too! One of my first choices for thorough skull degreasing. No comment on any of the others tho - never played with them... Not saying acetone is good on skins either... simply that it is an awesome degreaser =)

coleman fuel must be

This response submitted by powderhorn on 02/08/2004. ( ) 65.168.65.245

If coleman fuel is not a degreaser why is there always fatty oils and grease in the bottom of the bucket after I soak a bird, it surely does not just decide to come out of the skin on it's own. I just wonder if it work on a raccoon, if anyone has tried let me know how it works.

It will work but....

This response submitted by Paul C on 02/08/2004. ( ) 65.120.101.233

I used that technique for years and it will work however, a good fleshing followed by two scrubbings with Dawn or an Epo-Grip product followed by a good shampooing will do the same thing. Besides, it will make your coon or coyote smell good--something either critter isn't used to. If you're going to go the Coleman route make sure you give a good bath in Dawn afterwards--seems to do a better job that way.
Good luck!

You guys all flunk chemistry?

This response submitted by George on 02/08/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.193

OR just didn't take it? There IS a difference and Coleman fuel is NOT a degreaser. It's a solvent and THAT's why you find chunks at the bottom. With a degreaser, it's obliterated. And go ahead and use acetone, toluol, lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, MEK, and the rest. Make sure your will is up to date. They will kill you slowly, though, so you don't need to hurry anyway.

George....

This response submitted by Paul C on 02/09/2004. ( ) 65.120.105.58

George, I think the guys are using the term "degreaser" loosely because of the fact that it will pull grease (and other matter) out of a specimen. Whether its a degreaser or a solvent is irrelevant here because of how they are using it.
And......I have a degree in Organic Chemistry as well as Biology--thanks for your concern.

Sorry Paul

This response submitted by George on 02/09/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.136

Your answer was obviously the best of those submitted. My only concern is these raw beginners with GED's who would use acetone simply because they "saw it on the taxidermy net". Careless use of chemicals can kill you and I fear these people don't understand they're playing with a time bomb.

Just used Rittels Super Safety Solvent

This response submitted by Mike Dunbar on 02/09/2004. ( ) 209.206.208.197

on a coyote this past weekend. It worked great, the fat became jelled and kind of sticky in places and washed off in the rinse and in the pickle. This stuff really works.

Return to Beginners Category Menu