Do I need to start over

Submitted by BPS on 02/10/2004. ( ) 65.66.232.154

I searched the achives and and found some imformation but not enough to clarify.I hide is curling up and getting hard around the edges.I feel that it needs to be thinned down some more,so where do I start.
Should I rehydrate,pickle,shave,and retan? Are there any cautions to look out for in doing this.Thank you.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

hide or cape?

This response submitted by Joe T on 02/10/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.14

Are you dealing with a hide or cape? If you are dealing with a hide and your trying to make a soft wall hanging of something. It sounds like you didn't break or oil the hide. The thinner the better on this type of thing. Also, if you have tanned this hide, there is no reason to re-pickle, the hide is allready preserved (if you tanned it correctly). You can rehydrate and shaved some more. Be sure to follow all the directions of your tan.

Joe-T

This response submitted by BPS on 02/10/2004. ( ) 65.66.232.154

It is a full hide for the wall. I tanned and oiled it as per directions,then broke it down.It seemed fine until two weeks later that the sides up around the neck area started to get hard and curl. Comparing to another one I did(no problem) it needs to be shaved thinner in this area.I just wanted to make sure about how I needed to fix the problem the right way.Thanks.

stiff edges

This response submitted by troy on 02/11/2004. ( ) 65.168.65.245

Did you sand the back of the hide? If not take some coarse grit sand paper and sand the skin side, this breaks the fibers down. Then break the hide by hand until soft. You may need to rehydrate a little then add additional oil to get it completely soft. Also a coarse wire wheel on a drill or grider works well.

Return to Beginners Category Menu