Paul C

Submitted by Derek bowser (Croc) on 02/10/2004. ( crochunter@altel.net ) 69.40.132.124

hi paul, i doubt you remember me considering how many people tested in sept. but i took your advice and became a lifetime member of the pta and i am entering my first comp this year, my question is , if i would happen to blue ribbon in the amateur class would i assume that it would be good enough to pass my test? Im entering a whitetail (which i failed ) and a steelhead, one more quick question, the only waterfowl i was able to get for the test is a gadwall, are they native to pa? sorry not much of a bird hunter so not sure, thanks in advance and will see you in march and april lol, Derek

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Not Paul

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/11/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.130.231.214

But I will say a thing or two. If you entering it in the amatuer level and get a blue ribbon it can or not be good enough to pass the test. Being that it's just that (amatuer) and nothing else. It's judged on a low level and not considered professional. Now I may be sticking my foot on my mouth on saying that but the other thing to consider also is that I have seen amatuers do better work than some pros have done.
It's hard to say what will pass or not and no one can or will say that it will pass especially a board member. What would you do if Paul said oh ya it will and you had some other judge and failed you. You sure as heck would be mad at Paul and start...............
Hope to see you there. Lets just leave it at this.

What he said!

This response submitted by Paul C on 02/11/2004. ( ) 65.120.97.138

Frank's advice was right on Derek. And that is why he is going to be a GREAT new addition to the PTA Board of Directors (hopefully).
As far as your competition pieces are concerned, keep in mind what Frank said. Do your best work and don't assume anything. Just be sure to get a critique from the judge on ALL of your pieces and use it to learn and improve your work.
The gadwall is fine for your waterfowl piece. I kill several every year in PA.
Good luck and we'll see you at the show!

thanks guys

This response submitted by Derek on 02/11/2004. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 69.40.132.72

I appreciate both of your inputs, and Frank i hope you get elected i know i voted for you, you too Paul but i didnt see much competition for you lol.One more thing, can i compete in professional? as i read the rules i assumed i couldnt enter pro since im not licensed yet but several other taxi's told me to enter pro so i get a better critique on my work, sorry to take up so much space but i appreciate all the help, thanks again Derek

Yes

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/12/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.130.73.154

If you really want a good crituque on your work, that would be the place to be. This way the judge will be a bit harder on you and you'll see where the flaws are and correct any by the time you take the test again. Good luck and thanks.

Return to Beginners Category Menu