having to stop halfway done

Submitted by gary on 02/10/2004. ( ) 65.140.79.22

If I am starting on a project such as a deer, fox or such like and I get done with skinning out the animal and a situation turns up that I am not able to get back to finishing the animal until a day or so later can I just put the skin back in the freezer or is it once started you have to finish totally?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

its ok

This response submitted by chad on 02/10/2004. ( ) 199.0.140.107

After skinning it out you can put it back in the freezer until you have time to flesh,turn and so on.it will be ok.

Carefull

This response submitted by troy on 02/11/2004. ( ) 65.168.65.245

The more times you re-freeze the more your chances for slippage especially on Fox. Try to do it all at once.

quick and dry

This response submitted by Hogger on 02/13/2004. ( ) 4.7.217.32

Take another 15 minutes to quickly rough turn the ears and lips and salt liberally and hang. This would be better than freezing again. See when you kill an animal bacteria starts to work on it right away. The time you spend caping bacteria is growing. When you freeze the bacteria stops growing when the item is frozen. But as you thaw bacteria starts to grow again. This thawing process gives bacteria bonus time to get ahead of you. Salting starts the removal of fluid that bacteria require to grow. If you salt (with the ears turned so they get salt on the inside flesh of the ears) you are starting that drying process. The next day you can continue fleshing since your hide would not yet be dried out completely. Don't salt and roll up in a bag. The hide will sit in it's own extracted liquids and that's not good. Basically moisture and lapsed time are your enemies.

Return to Beginners Category Menu