Male Raccoon "Part" AKA How to Clean it up?

Submitted by Carrie on 02/12/2004. ( ) 207.69.137.37

I think you all know what "part" I'm talking about LOL! I'm wondering how to go about cleaning it up. I assume it would be similar process to european mounting, which I've never done. Can I just boil it in baking soda? Bleach? How do I clean this up? Thanks! Carrie

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Just Skin it

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/12/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.206

Work on it with a scalpel you will be able to clean it perfectly. With practice you will be able to peal the flesh off and it will come off in one shot using pliers.

Carrie

This response submitted by Coyote on 02/12/2004. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.140.92

If you're making a "Arkansas Toothpick", just let it dry out. Then scrape off all excess meat and fat. Then your going to have to use a grinder to sharpen the point. Then buff it up on a grinder with a buffing wheel. I install a .22 cal. shell to the end with a small eye bolt which you can attach a chain to.

Coyote

maceration and whiten

This response submitted by Raven on 02/12/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Easiest way to do it - no fuss - awesome results and no damage (not that theres a lot TO damage). Perfect chance for you to see first hand how ASWESOME maceration is. Put it in a container of water and leave it alone for a week. Rinse it under warm water and maybe scrub a lil with an old toothbrush. If it's still a lil fleshy, put it back in the water. If you wnat to degrease it (and with coons it's agood idea as any remaining fat in it can turn rancid and then acidic)soak it in acetone for a few days. If you want it whitened, soak it in peroxide for a couple of days after that.

It's that easy and doesn't harm the bone the way sodas or bleach will. Calcium is replaced by sodium and chlorine if either of those chemicals are used. The funny thing is that they are not required for any reason. They damage the bone... period.. even if you don't see visible effects, bio-chemically you have damaged the bone...

Try maceration - it's clean, safe and easy and very effective.

Hope that helps =)

Return to Beginners Category Menu