Working for a taxidermist...How do I get paid

Submitted by Jim on 02/12/2004. ( ) 209.221.54.162

I may have a job working with another taxidermist in his shop. I have mounted a few things and have a pretty good idea what I'm doing.How would I get paid? Would it be a percentage of each job, or maybe a flat fee for each one,or maybe like sublabor? How does one go about working out the details? Thanks very much in advance.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

hourly rate

This response submitted by greg f on 02/12/2004. ( ) 65.174.66.2

Jim, my day job is Human Resource Manager. I'm sure most taxis wouldn't worry about this, but like any employer your compensation should comply with wage and hour laws. The safest & simplest way would be to egree upon an hourly rate.

Can be on production.

This response submitted by John C on 02/12/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Either way hourly if yo are in a apprenticeship or Percentage of the mount is you are competent.

I'd never pay hourly wages

This response submitted by George on 02/12/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.20

Too many "helpers" take twice the time of a competent individual. I'd pay only piecemeal prices and production work prices. If it took you 3 days to mount a squirrel, you'd still only get a fraction of the fee I was to receive.

1099 form

This response submitted by Robert B on 02/12/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.194

sub contracting is on a 1099 form for the irs the rules are you make your own hours and recieve pay based on each peice you do I pay 20 for a deer cape head skinned fleshed and turned ready to tan and it works in to 10 dollars an hour and better when the subcontracter knows what he is doing but I cant afford to take time to teach him and pay him hourly Im just starting out and it seem to be working ok so far

easy answer

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/12/2004. ( ) 66.133.132.254

Try asking the guy youll be working for! Only you and he knows the situation. Is he going to be training you as you work? Thats a different rate than if you can walk right through the door and make him an immediate profit.

Kind Of beside the question

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/13/2004. ( ) 64.12.101.161

But I want to Know one thing. I have seen it Stated here before in different threads. and I want to know. Who in the world can skin, turn, and properly flesh a deer head in 2 hours. Less if the subcontractor Knows what he is doing. I think I qualify as Knowing what I am Doing. I have only been doing it for 35 years. 45 if you count before I became professional. And I cannot do it in 2 hours, and have a properly done job. Heck If someone can do it in under 2 hours, they have no need to work for $10.00 an hour. To be honest It takes me about 20 minutes just to skin the head out. Are these guys realistic?

Legalities

This response submitted by greg f on 02/13/2004. ( ) 65.174.66.2

Not to belabor the point, but I doubt very highly that someone working under a taxis direction would meet the legal definition of a "subcontractor." Therefore, wage and hour laws would apply. And for what it's worth Tenbears, I'd say I could come pretty darn close to the 2 hours to skin, turn and flesh a deer head.

I pay

This response submitted by Alex on 02/13/2004. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.247.7

piece work, I seem to get things done faster that way.

tenbears

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/13/2004. ( ) 209.130.137.84

I am constantly being accused of working slow, and I can tell you it sure doesnt take me two hours. It cant, Id be further behind than I am!

I muat be a turtle

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/15/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.20

Because It takes me way more. Guess that's another reason to attend some Conventions.

Return to Beginners Category Menu