is it possible

Submitted by shawn on 02/12/2004. ( ) 64.33.161.4

to pickel a whitetail cape for too long? YOU see I have to leave for the weekend, and my capes will not be thouroghly pickled by friday. I usually "stir" them several times a day, and please dont tell me to "plan" more wisely when it comes to sheduling my work, a family matter just came up that needs my attention. Any ideas on what I can do? Will letting them sit "still" in the pickle for a few days damage them? I use oxalic acid, ph 1.7-2, and usually have to add a small amt. of acid every other day to maintain ph. would the ph get high enuf to damage capes?Help!.........Please!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

You should be fine.

This response submitted by John C on 02/12/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I have kept hides in a pickle since 1997/1998 and they are still fine.

Have you been sick

This response submitted by powderhorn on 02/13/2004. ( ) 65.168.65.245

John do you think you might want to get started on maybe getting them mounted or do you just like to pickle things. (what about the customer) who is waiting on his trophy, come on man you are giving us a bad name.

No I have

This response submitted by Alex on 02/13/2004. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.247.7

I once put a cape in a pickle in a paint bucket, and put a lid on it and forgot about it, 5 years later I found the bucket under all my fish molds, I proceeded to thin and tanned it, and I mounted the head 15 years ago, guess what it is still as good as the first day.

Just make sure your PH is under 3 and you have plenty of salt, it will keep.

Return to Beginners Category Menu