wire wheel Question?

Submitted by john h on 02/08/2004. ( ) 206.124.71.213

when you guys talk about wire wheels and using them, are they on a electric bench grinder or a hand held, or air? or which do recomend for deer capes and small animals. thank you for any tips!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Wire Wheel

This response submitted by George on 02/08/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.14

John, click on the "suppliers" link above and then go to Van Dykes and order a catalog. That catalog will answer all of your questions about the necessary tool required in taxidermy. I'm sure SOMEONE will come on and tell you how to jury rig other tools to "make do", but this will give you an idea what the real professionals use.

Well I will tell you. Wire Wheel

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/08/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

First I have found I can flesh small game with a wire wheel in 1/10th of the time. I also use a 1/5 hp motor from Graingers. and a stainless steel brush wheel. I normally do a bobcat or coyote in 15 minutes or less. Plus done have to sew up all those tick bites either!

Build a 1/2 inch wooden box 4 feet long, 2 feet high, and 18 inches deep. You will also need a piece of Plexiglass 4'X 18" wide for the top.

Drill a hole for the motor shaft, now build a wooden box for the motor to set on. Assmble the motor arbor and bolt the motor inplace.

You may wish to put a power switch in a handy place just incase you wrap a skin around the brush.

Thats is it. you cost for everything about $100.00 or buy one ready made.

Wire wheel fleshing

This response submitted by Ray on 02/08/2004. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 209.240.205.62

Drop me a line or steve gossard. and we can set you up with themethod todo deer hide and smaller game with a wire wheel method. useing a variable speed benchgrinder. Dont let npeople fool you . they want you to buy up there highdollar machines and yet you will get the same results useing a grinder and wire wheel. i've been doing it for over 2 years. and steve gossard has been doing it for nearly 30. . . ... Any questions just write me @ hunterray2002@yahoo.com or steve gossard @ gossard@gtelco.net.

Return to Beginners Category Menu