What type of Freezer...?

Submitted by Jim on 02/13/2004. ( ) 192.175.173.35

Is a Manual Defrost freezer ok to use for storing deer capes? Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Any freezer

This response submitted by Alex on 02/13/2004. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.247.7

will do as long as you are confident that it will mechanically sound, invest on a freezer alarm.

Breakthrough

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/13/2004. ( NaturersTrophies@aol ) 205.188.209.38

Rick Carter has a good article in the latest Breakthrough. Frost free freezers are not usually recommended because of the constant temperature fluctuations that can lead to freezer burn. I did make sure the last freezer I purchased had an alarm it. Customers don't understand when one of the kids leaves it open! Jeff F.

Manual defrost is better for critters

This response submitted by Raven on 02/13/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Frost free freezers wick moisture out. Im not sure what the mechanics are that causes this - perhaps someone else can elaborate, but frost free freezers remove a LOT more moisture than manual defrost, leading to excessive dehydration and freezer burn. I've kept critters in an old frosty freezer for months with no adverse effects - where in the frost free specimens have been ruined in as little as 6 weeks.

Thanks

This response submitted by Jim on 02/13/2004. ( ) 192.175.173.35

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the input. A friend of mine is moving and getting rid of his so I wondered if I should take it or not. I guess it never hurts to have an extra freezer anyway. Thanks again!

Frost free freezers....

This response submitted by marty on 02/13/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...are typically the uprights. I believe that they constantly cycle using heat to melt away the built-up ice. This constant cycling sucks the life out of things in the freezer. Causing premature freezer burn. Chest freezers are the best way to go...

Return to Beginners Category Menu