WT Corner Lip Sag

Submitted by Ron S on 02/13/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.198

I Just Finish a Wt Mount that my Uncle helped me mount. I have been happy with it, other than I have a small sag in the corner of the mouth. I mentioned this to him and He filled it with apoxy sculp.
Now I really would like to fix it right if I can. I don't want to get him upset sinse I am the beginner and would rather not challage is quality. Can I take a pot of boiling water and use the steam off it to rehidrate the hide ? but what about the apoxy sculpt? Was this a misstake ? Can I still remove the apoxy to repair the sag correctly? Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated !

Ron S

Return to Beginners Category Menu

not sure what you mean

This response submitted by dale on 02/13/2004. ( dwcw@ritzcom.net ) 66.62.72.145

Not sure what you mean by a sag. You can rehydrate by turning the head sideways, and put a sopping wet cloth on the spot and keep it wet for a day or two, then you can move the skin around on that wet area. I drill a 3/8 inch hold at the back of the mouth, below the lip line, and tuck the excess into that hole. Again, don't know what you mean by sagging, and what your uncle actually did, but I can't see where expoxy would have been used in that area.

Send pic

This response submitted by Shann on 02/13/2004. ( davistaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 143.183.121.1

Ron, If you can take several close up pics and send them to me. I will see if I can help.

deer lip

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 02/14/2004. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.13.201

Ron, You can rehydrate the skin in that area as Dale suggested. After the skin has rehydrated you should be able to move it BUT if you used a 2part adhessive you will have to pry the skin from the adhessive which is doable but has some risk when working with the thin skin in that area. Also the Apoxie-sculpt is probably in the hair a little and pulling it from the re-wetted skin will pull out any hairs that might be caught in the Apoxie. Apoxie will not soften once cured. Consider the risks and compare to leaving as is. The real value in this is the lessons it teaches, enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Beginners Category Menu