What to do before freezing unturned yote skin

Submitted by SeaBass on 02/13/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

I know ill probably get blasted for this, cuz Im sure its in the archives, But I can't find it. Anyway, the question is, what should I do to my unturned (lips, ears, etc not split) coyote pelt? Theres no way Im gonna get to doing the fleshing and turning tonight. Salt it? wet it down? anything? MAN these critters smell bad, by the way. Thanks
SeaBass

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Freezin Yote

This response submitted by Eddie on 02/13/2004. ( NDAWOODS25@aol.com ) 152.163.252.194

I had one last year that a customer caped but left the head and tail in. It was frozen for about 2 months before he gave it to me. Those few months in the freezer and I got and thawed and caped the rest of the way and turned and split the tail. I have capped deer and froze them and thawed and turned later then salted. No problems...

What I do...

This response submitted by Brandon on 02/13/2004. ( taxidermy@tds.net ) 216.170.149.83

When I see that I am not going to be able to finish the fleshing and turning at night, I inject the ears, the lips, the eyelids, and the nose pad with either preserve it or stop rot and then salt it down good. If I don't get to the fleshing I usually cut through the thick meat to the skin in like a tic tac to pattern so the salt can penetrate.I have left skins like this for up to 24 hrs before and have never had any problems.
Hope this helps,
-Brandon

Return to Beginners Category Menu