ultra-soft ?

Submitted by Sherrie P on 02/13/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.106

I have a cape that has been salt dried it is rock hard. It is for a w/t deer shoulder mount. And I bought Rittel 609 ultra-soft. The instuctions say use this or a strong salt solution of 2lbs per 1 gallon of water, Do you all think if I used less salt and the ultra-soft combined to relaxe the cape. I would think you need some salt in the mix to keep the hair from slipping . I have plenty of salt and a pint of ultra-soft ,,,What would you do . Thanks Sherrie P

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I've used both methods!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/14/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.135

I've used both methods. The Salt brine method (2 Lbs. of Salt/Gallon) takes a lot longer than using the US-609 - but it does work. Skins can safely be left in a Salt Brine for 24 hours.

The US-609 is best used by itself - no Salt or Bacteriacide added to it. Adding Salt will tend to slow down its relaxing. I always use 1 fluid ounce (or 2 Tablespoonfuls) to each 1 gallon of water (lukewarm) and let the skins soak for 8-14 hours. It's an excellent choice for air drieds or African skins.

Both methods are considered very mild on the epidermis. Some relaxers tend to pulp and weaken the epidermis - but using a Brine or Ultra-Soft is very gentle on the epidermis.

Thanks Bruce

This response submitted by Sherrie P on 02/14/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.227

!

And

This response submitted by Wayne R on 02/14/2004. ( therodds@msn.com ) 65.128.20.136

I use Bruce's ultra soft and love the stuff. The capes are like limp dish rags when they soften up. He doesn't need me to help promote his products they promote themselves. The thing I would like to add for those who use Ultra soft already, is to ask Bruce about his blood eater. I use both when I rehydrate my capes, even the ones that don't look like they have blood in or on them. You will be surprised as to what this stuff removes and leaves behind in the solution. Your pickling and tanning solutions will also be much cleaner.

Return to Beginners Category Menu