how to pres. sqrl. skin

Submitted by Alex Paulsen on 02/16/2004. ( ) 172.147.120.254

I just bagged my first squirrel and skinned it. So am wondering what materials I need and how to preseve the skin that is in my freezer. Thank you for your reponses

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Sqrl. Skin

This response submitted by john h on 02/16/2004. ( ) 206.124.71.88

It depends what you want to do with it.. Mount,wall hanging,Small rug? What i would say is skin,flesh,wash,towel dry,tack out on a board,rub down with borax or DP.. This is easy and a good starting point for a newbie like myself! Just have fun and try new stuff,experiment on new thing and you will find out what you like and dislike! HAVE FUN & GOOD LUCK!

You can also use alcohol

This response submitted by SeaBass on 02/17/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 4.17.147.161

I think most people would agree with the above post, another thing you can do is give the squirrel a several-hour bath in denatured alcohol. It'll help clean up the skin, kill bacteria and (i think) set the hairs to reduce the chance of slippage. Just do this after fleshing, followed by a rehydration bath in water, then stretch, tack and borax like john h said or borax and mount him. Good Luck
SeaBass

tip

This response submitted by ZACK on 02/17/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.16

also if there is blood on the fur you should wash with dish soap + H2O and staple [HAIR DOWN!] to a board and cover with dry preserve. when done, comb hair the wrong way then the right way. [rabbits,chipmunks, and small animals]

Return to Beginners Category Menu