Trouble with ears on a fawn

Submitted by red on 02/18/2004 at 18:41. ( ) 65.140.90.69

I skinned out a fawn to today and when I tried to turn the ears I could only get about half way down. One of the ears is torn almost completly off about 3/4 of the way across. Th other has a small tear just at the butt. I can't get that one to turn either. They almost look frezer burnt. Could I soak in water to try to help soften the ears? If so how long? Also the front half of the hide was not attached to the body when I skinned. It was just sitting there. It seems stiff too. Any ideas? Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Soaking in water will ruin the hide

This response submitted by Roadkill on 02/18/2004 at 22:35. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

You can inject the ears with a little water and that will help, but the best thing would be to soak in a pickle bath to get it ready to tan. One pound of salt and enough acid to bring the ph down to a 1.5 or 2.0. the salt will allow the skin to soak up the moisture and rehydrate the ears in a few days and you will be able to turn them.
If the ears are just dry from being old, then the ears may just be junk. hard ot say wihtout knowing all the details of it's care.

Return to Beginners Category Menu