I mounted a squirrel need advice for next time

Submitted by Malcolm on 02/18/2004 at 23:11. ( ) 67.75.60.44

I mounted a squirrel and it turned ou pretty good but It has
no tail because I could not pull it out. I skinned down the tail
as far as I could but could not pull the rest out and I damaged
the tail. I will have to get a tail of another one.

ALso I had trouble skinning all away down to the fingers, do
you have any info on skinning the arms that would make it easier

ALso when ordering forms should I order the form after skinning
or before skinning. DO you measure first or after skinning?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Tail stripper

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 02/19/2004 at 02:26. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.11

They make a tail stripper for that purpose that works great. I've also heard of people using two sticks. Position them at the top of the tail and strip out the tail.

Using a #10 scalpel blade works good on small areas. They make even smaller ones. That may help on the toes.

If you know you are going to do a few squirrels, and they are pretty well the same size, you can always order a few in different poses to have on hand. I usually order forms prior to skinning/tanning/etc. I pull the hides only after the form has arrived.

Just my .02. Hope this helps. Good luck! =)

Two sticks

This response submitted by Chad Hoover on 02/19/2004 at 02:36. ( djhoove@alltel.net ) 162.40.177.116

Next time when you get to the tail, pull the skin just past the base of the tail. Use two sticks or dowel rods about the size of your little finger. Place these, one on one side of the tail and one on the other get a good grip on both the sticks and squeeze hard, pull down making sure the sticks stay tight again the meat of the tail. The bone should slide out without breaking. This can be done to all mammals with long tails ie squirrel, coon, mink etc. If you use clay for the forarms you can leave the foot on at the ankle. You should always measure before you skin. Hope this will help.

Pulling tails is easyer than that

This response submitted by Roadkill on 02/19/2004 at 18:59. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

You simple grab ahold of the tail with one hand and pinch the skin with the other and pull they come right off without the two sticks.
Most guys I have taught break the tail off using the sticks as the squeeze them together and not hold them apart. you want the sticks to slide down the tail bone and hold the skin so it ripps the tail out.
There are alot of squirrel forms, but there are also lots of different sizes of squirrels. You should get the mesurments before you skin, and after and use both to figure the forms out. You fallow the instructions from the supplier to find the form that fits.

Return to Beginners Category Menu