Floating pickle

Submitted by Dan P on 02/15/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.106

Im pickling my 2nd deer cape for a mount,I mixed 8 gallons of saftee acid mix,I put the cape in and it floats up and sticks out of the mix,I Dont think more mix is going to keep it down.I dont remeber it sticking out of the mix on the first one i did.What would you do put it hair side up or down and just let it float.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Personally?

This response submitted by George on 02/15/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.112

I'd put a brick on top of it.

George

This response submitted by Dan P on 02/15/2004. ( ) 64.12.113.177

Is this normal for it to float like this, the first cape I used pickling crystal this time im using saftee acid. I THANK YOU for your help. Dan P

what i do

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 02/15/2004. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 208.252.179.30

I use 55 gallon plastic trash cans with lids for my pickle. I cut out a piece of 1/2 plywood the right size and drill holes in it and use a plastic milk crate and small bricks in it to keep my hides submerged. Works for me!

What I do

This response submitted by Tony on 02/15/2004. ( ) 208.157.8.232

I use those rubber made totes, 20 gal I think? It doesn't matter just as long as ya have 2 the same. put the cape in the pickel in one and put a couple gal. of water in the other and place it right down in the pickel tote, this will sink the cape. I usually wash my hands off in the tote with the water also. hope you understand.

Tony

Dan

This response submitted by George on 02/15/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.112

Yes, it's quite common.

George

This response submitted by Roadkill on 02/15/2004. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

A brick? Man that is a good one. You are really showing your ingenuity. A brick is not suposed ot be used for that purpose, or maybe it just applies to everyone else.
Frankly, you can use a brick to sink the skin, but first put it in another bucket and put the other bucket on top of the skin.
Dirt, and just the materials in the brick could absorb the pickle, or lower or raise the pickle. Also, bricks have hydrated lime in them, this can still affect your pickle enough ot ruin your skins.

GALLON JUGS

This response submitted by TROY on 02/16/2004. ( ) 65.168.65.245

Wash out some gallon jugs, windshield washer fluid jugs work well, take the labels off and fill them with water, and set them on top of the hide in the pickle. Works for me.

Don't need it

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/16/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.168.246.156

I float mine all the time. I use to do the same thing trying to cover up the hides and make sure there in the pickle. I talked with Bruce Rittle about this and he told me and till this day this is all I do. LET THEM FLOAT. All you do is make sure you mix them up two to three times a day when you in the shop. Once in the morning, at luch if you remember if not that's ok, and then when you close up for the night. Now I have a cover for the tub I use and I have the hides covered with it but there is 10" of air space. Ever since then I never had a problem with the hides or the worry of them drying out by the floating. I've done all that covering up making sure there in the pickle deep and it became a real hassle. So I just do it like this.

Return to Beginners Category Menu