First red fox mount

Submitted by Rod on 02/19/2004 at 17:00. ( ) 131.124.100.68

I am getting ready to mount my first red fox, it has been tanned with McKenzie brush on tan. This hide has been sitting for a while and needs to be rehydrated. Do any of you have opinions on which way to do this? I now I can take a spray bottle and spray the fleshed side but the ears and hide have been turned fur side out and since the ears feel kind of stiff I am afraid of turning them without them being rehydrated. Can I soak it in plain water for a short period, or try to maybe sponge some water into the ears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Rehydrate

This response submitted by Steve on 02/19/2004 at 18:47. ( Gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

Take and soak it in water for thirty minutes, take and put the skin in a bag and put in the refrigerator over night to sweat the moisture into the skin. This is the best way to rehydrate and there is probably one hundred or more articals in the search archives about rehydrating.
I use salt water on my skins, butthat is because I use a salt/pickle before hand and do not want to cause acid swell which turns the wskin rubbery. one half pound per gallon of water.

Thanks Steve

This response submitted by Rod on 02/20/2004 at 02:41. ( ) 152.163.252.194

Steve, after reading your reply I used the search like you said and you are right lots of info on this, sorry for a redundant question, Your advice appears to be really good. So thanks again.

Thanks Steve

This response submitted by Rod on 02/20/2004 at 02:42. ( ) 152.163.252.194

Steve, after reading your reply I used the search like you said and you are right lots of info on this, sorry for a redundant question, Your advice appears to be really good. So thanks again.

Whoop's

This response submitted by Rod on 02/20/2004 at 02:42. ( ) 152.163.252.194

Sorry, for the double reply.

Return to Beginners Category Menu