coyote foot question- between toes

Submitted by seabass on 02/21/2004 at 10:59. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

I was skinning out the feet of a yote for a lifesize mount and I noticed there are these small, almost pad-like fleshy-feeling things attached to the skin between the toes. The skin between this yotes toes is almost redish-colored and I'm afraid to try anything on the pads out of fear of ruining the foot (it's my first yote). Can i just inject them? or leave em alone? they're very small, probably 1/4-1/8 the size of the smaller pads on the bottom of the foot. Also, I skinned 2 of his feet before I checked here (stupid) and I acually split open all the the pads on the bottom of the foot in order to flesh the toes to the nail. Should i try and sew them up? do foot pads really even show in a finished mount? (NOT customer or competition work) Thanks
SeaBass

Return to Beginners Category Menu

coyote

This response submitted by keith on 02/22/2004 at 10:04. ( lostpinestaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 64.185.172.171

seabass,
i always take the toes out completely and replace with little rolls of clay, that away i can shape the feet the way i want it makes it easier to work with, as far as the pad i split them and get the fatty material out. i sew them back up when i am mounting anything still showing i just 2 part epoxie and you never can tell.

I cut in a hal circle around the pads but...

This response submitted by Hogger on 02/22/2004 at 23:04. ( ) 4.7.222.152

You won't see the pads of a standing coyote mount so who cares. Even one where his pads would show could be cut through the pad and you can still sew and hide that with sculpt. I cut around in a half circle in the furry part between the toes and the pad and that hides my sewing and the pad is unaffected. I turn the toes all the way through to the nails and fill with clay. I don't use apoxi sculpt in the toes because it doesn't give me enough work time to do the finish work in shaping the toes nicely. Good luck!

Return to Beginners Category Menu