mounting head area?

Submitted by Aaron on 02/28/2004 at 20:30. ( mryamz@comcast.net ) 24.3.80.161

I have a question. I am working on my first ever real mount. It is a raccoon rug. From what I figured out I have to work the skin onto the head form while it is still damp and stretchable. But how does one take care of glueing the skin to the form in position around the eyes, and mouth/gums area if the skin is still damp. I would think that it wouldn't stick if damp and when it dries it will shrink back and look like garbage if I just 'set' it in place. How do I keep this from happening?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

You need to get a book.

This response submitted by Todd B on 02/28/2004 at 21:13. ( ) 65.58.65.144

I mean no disrespect to you but you have a lot to learn before doing this. You need to know the basics of mounting a head before going any further. If you already know the basics then you will know the head is mounted in the rug just the same as any other mount.

Todd B

Todd is right.

This response submitted by John C on 02/28/2004 at 21:51. ( ) 66.233.157.155

You can use anyone of several types of hide paste. Since this is one of the basic steps, its very clear you need some books that can explain this is detail. I also am going to bet you no little to nothing about squaring the rug up.

Have at it

This response submitted by dale on 02/28/2004 at 23:39. ( ) 66.62.72.148

You'll probably go ahead, so use pins to keep things in place till it drys. Hide paste is water soluable. Experience is the best teacher, video's are second best. good luck

it tried it this way

This response submitted by AAron on 02/29/2004 at 09:48. ( mryamz@comcast.net ) 24.3.80.161

I did my first full body mount on a raccoon last year, but I used DP hide past and pins (salt, resalt, DP, then mount). when the hide was dried it shrunk back and looked like trash. I assumed that maybe it was just a side effect of using DP, so I am trying to actually tan the hide this time to avoid some of those problems. But how do I get the hide to stick without shrinking or cracking while the hide and/or paste dries. I would appreciate have some suggestions rather than someone telling me that I don't know. I already know that I don't know that is why I am asking.

Also, what about squaring up the rug?

Return to Beginners Category Menu