Is shaving white tail deer hides a must.

Submitted by Tony C. on 02/29/2004 at 12:48. ( ) 152.163.253.35

I know thining a hide is the right and best way to prepare it for mounting. But I'm just starting out and don't have a fleshing mach. yet. My question is what can I do to get a good looking mount with out a fleshing mach? If I send it to a tannery do thay shave the hides or tan as sent?

Thanks for eny help!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Yes they do...

This response submitted by Paul on 02/29/2004 at 13:20. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.85.38.233

Tanneries pickle, shave, wash and tan. This saves me time I don't have. You can do it yourself with a razor or scalpel on a beam. Not shaving the cape will cause shrinkage on the mount and a smaller than original neck size for lack of stretch.

Get the Breakthrough TANNING MANUAL.

This response submitted by John C on 02/29/2004 at 13:43. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Yes a hide must be shaved, especially thick hides.

You need to get a butcher knife and learn to flesh with or you can use single edged razor blades.

Your question tells me you have not searched the tanning catagory at all. Maybe you should read the archived tanning post.

For small mammals a wire wheel on a small bench grinder will work fine.

Thick hides must be fleshed so the chemicals will penetrate and do thier job.

As for fleshing a piece of 4 inch heavy plastic pipe from any hardware store and the butcher knife will work fine. I have fleshed as many as 65 deerheads per year that way.

Remember tanning is an anceint art, and only the 20 years have fleshing machines been readily available.

Thanks for the info Paul!

This response submitted by Tony C on 02/29/2004 at 13:46. ( ) 152.163.252.194

I have never sent a hide to a tannery before.to prepare the hide to go I know I have skin,flesh,turn eyes, nose, lips, and ears, and salt hide. is that all I need to do? or am I missing somthing.

Thanks For Help!

Well, I DISAGREE

This response submitted by George on 02/29/2004 at 14:28. ( ) 152.163.252.194

THINNNED, yes, SHAVED, no. Now I'm not saying it won't look better and the detail work out better, but I will never be convinced that a regular, run of the mill, whitetail MUST BE SHAVED, EVER! I've seen Texas, Mississippi, and Georgia deer that when you held the green hide up to light, you could see right through it.

The big Canadian and northern tier deer can certainly use it around the forehead and top of the neck area, but their hair is so long, detail rarely shows anyway. Suddenly "shaving" has become a buzzword like "pickle" has.

just did an Iowa cape

This response submitted by b bishop on 02/29/2004 at 21:00. ( ) 65.73.67.71

thing had to be 3/8 " thick in spots , brute of a deer though.

shaving not necessary

This response submitted by terryr on 03/02/2004 at 16:54. ( ) 63.85.32.92

have mounted many deer with dp (as well as krowtann) - dp deer are rarely shaved - clean off flesh and mount - most winter deer will not show form deteail anyway - i do have fleshing machine and do shave most of them - but wouldnt have to

Return to Beginners Category Menu