airbrush coats on mammal noses

Submitted by Matt on 02/29/2004 at 16:09. ( ) 216.93.26.227

I am a beginner at taxidermy and wanted to know if I need to put on some type of sealer on top of a mammal nose such as a raccoon after I airbrushed it. If I do would a flat or gloss topcoat be best?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

yeah

This response submitted by Tim on 02/29/2004 at 17:17. ( ) 170.215.144.178

Use a high gloss(wet-look gloss). Especially on deer and like mammals because they are constantly licking their noses. The more coats the wetter it will look.

basecoat sealer under wet-look gloss

This response submitted by Matt on 02/29/2004 at 20:02. ( ) 216.93.26.227

I read in the forum about applying a basecoat sealer above the hydro-mist paint. Then it said to apply a wet-look gloss over the basecoat sealer. Is this true? Or would it be better just to apply a wet-look gloss over the hydro-mist paint. Would this be what I want to do for the nose of a raccoon?

Careful with gloss

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/01/2004 at 07:18. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Not all animals have a wet nose, so do not use gloss on all noses!
I used to have a racoon and a squirrel as pets when i was a kid, and neither had a wet nose if they were just frolicking in the woods, Racoons noses will get wet, but only if drinking, eating, ect ect, wherw they clean their food streamside. Get some good reference for the species you are working on. Have shot many a deer in the woods, and only a few had a wet nose. It will depend n what you have the animal doing on your base

Return to Beginners Category Menu