How to cape out a boar?

Submitted by Bill Watson on 02/29/2004 at 22:46. ( ) 209.246.183.129

Hi
I am going on a hog hunt and wanted to know what is the best way to cape out a boar?

Thanks,
Bill

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Cape it like

This response submitted by Dan P on 02/29/2004 at 23:13. ( ) 64.12.116.210

you would a doe would want mounted, make a cut down the back and save as much cape down the back you can, dont cut no higher than the sturnum on the chest side.Hope it helps

WHY?

This response submitted by George on 03/01/2004 at 08:34. ( ) 205.188.209.37

NEVER CUT A BOAR DOWN THE NECK! It's stupid. They peel right off over the head. Ventral cut it to field dress. Hand it by the back legs and start at the butt. Skin down and tube that head out just like you would a squirrel or a bobcat. A boar can be mounted with virtually no sewing at all, and SHOULD BE.

Sheesh!

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 03/01/2004 at 10:40. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 198.81.26.48

Here in CA hogs are the meat and potatoes. I get so many guys that cut them wrong, like Dan P. You NEVER cut a boar down the back! I charge big time extra for that mistake. Start by laying the hog on its side. Find the center of the hog- which depending on the size of the pig will be around 4 inches behind the shoulder. Cut all the way around the hog following that "center line". When the hog has been "cut in half" you can then proceed to roll the skin forward towards the head. When you get to the front legs cut them down the back to the knee. Do not cut the inside of the legs, as this will show on the mount. Sometimes on the 300lb+ hogs the armor will be almost impossible to roll over. At this point you can cut some relief hatch marks into the armor plate to help it give. Continue rolling the skin forward until you get to the base of the skull. Cut the skull from the body and you are ready to get to work. Make sure you get all your measurements and THAT is how you cape out a hog.

Just like a deer

This response submitted by MichelleW on 03/01/2004 at 10:48. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 167.196.169.54

Bill,

You cape a hog just like you would a deer. I usually cape a deer or hog with the whole hide attached and cut the extra off when I get it back to the shop. Just so you know you will have enough cape cut the hog all the way around the middle about 4-6 inches behind the front shoulders. Run your knife up the back of both front legs until you reach your first incission. Now just start skinning. By cutting it the way I told you you will not have to do any sewing except maybee a bullet hole when you mount the hog. Also it will make it easier to cape it out when you get around the sheild. If you are mounting the hog and are going to take the skull out be very careful because it is easy to cut a hole through the skin. No relief cut is needed when removing the skull. Hope this helps. MichelleW

Jeanette's right, and...

This response submitted by Hogger on 03/02/2004 at 04:24. ( ) 4.7.211.157

I like to also start from both ends. I'll cut away the lips from where they meet the gumline and peel the face open that way so that when you come from the other direction caping off the head you have a shorter trip. You use Dan P's method and you will have taken away the one joy of mounting a hog... no stitching down the back!

Hogger

This response submitted by Jeanette on 03/02/2004 at 10:36. ( ) 198.81.26.48

I have been starting from both ends of the animal since I got into taxidermy. I found that I can save more lip skin that way. I cape out all of my animals that way and it works for me. That is why I sever the spine on a boar and take the head inside. I prop the head up on my bench and start cutting the lips as close to the gum line as I can get. I started the "face first" technique when I fist started and my boss was complaining that I never saved enough lip to tuck.

Great Hog minds think alike!

This response submitted by Hogger on 03/02/2004 at 12:16. ( ) 4.7.211.157

Yeah?

Return to Beginners Category Menu