How do I preserve a fox tail?

Submitted by Shane on 03/12/2004 at 12:34. ( ihuntdux@hotmail.com ) 209.180.187.196

I shot a fox with my bow this year and I'm not sure how to preserve the tail. I pulled the bony part out of the tail by simply pulling it out with a pair of pliers. The tail is in great shape,but I don't know how to cure the inside. Someone told me that I'd have to cut the tail to open it up, somehow cure the skin on the inside, and then sew it back up. Is this true? If so, how do I do it? I've had the tail in the feezer for awhile now and would like to get at it.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

Return to Beginners Category Menu

IT DEPENDS?

This response submitted by AJ on 03/12/2004 at 13:09. ( ) 204.171.61.34

You probably can salt it a couple times until it's (hard)dry. Or if you have some dry preserve or borax that will preserve it as well. I wouldn't split it. Take and run a stiff wire down the tail and poke it out the end. Then you can fish a piece of thin rope or twine down and out the end. This rope will aid it working the salt or whatever you chose to preserve it with down IN the tail. Work the rope back and forth to work (the preserve)through the whole tail. Hope I explained this alright. Good luck

fox tail

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 03/13/2004 at 01:29. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.1.41

Shane, If you really want a nice tail tan it, lots of info on this under the "search" button to the left. If you are not into this your local taxidermist would likely do the job for not a lot of money.-Aaron H.

Return to Beginners Category Menu